Will this upgrade work. bike guru needed for advice!

rosco1
rosco1 Posts: 2
edited June 2010 in Workshop
I have a boardman Comp (2008) with 9 speed cassette, Shimano 105 rear derailleur and a double crank. . My bike has been out of commission for 5 months now due to my Shimano Tiagra shifter becoming damaged.

I've just bought a set of Campagnola 10 Speed Egro Centaur shifter as a replacement.

However, what needs changed with this new set-up? I would be looking to change the cassette to a 10 speed to get the benefits but will i need to change the rear and front derailleurs, chain etc? Rumour has it i need a conversion cassette with a built in spacer, but then others say it will work fine. ratio's, gearing etc just confuse me, i just need it to work!:)

If someone could clear this up and just give me an idea of whats needed, i'd be grateful.

cheers
Ross

Comments

• synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Cheapest solution:
    You could get one of these Jtek shiftmate things:

shiftmate.jpg

(actually they don't look all that cheap! :shock: )

You don't have a campag freehub body on your rear wheel, so yes, you'd most likely need a conversion cassette to go to 10 speed.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Shimergo should work with your 9-speed cassette. http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

Maybe you'd need a Campagnolo front derailleur for smooth shifting, but you could try with your current first.

PS: Why did you buy the shifters without knowing whether they would work?
  • Hi

Im looking at upgrading my groupset to Tiagra. However i want bar end shifters so am looking at getting the 9 speed ultegra bar end shifters. I cannot afford to go for a full utegra groupset so will the shifters work with tiagra mechs?

Many Thanks

Rory Hopcraft
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    To Rory...yes as long as you use a cassette and chain corresponding to the same number of speeds (as in 9sp cassette, chain and Shifters) as the shifters you will be fine, you can use any Shimano Mechs.

To Rosco...there is no point going from 9speed to 10speed, it costs a lot and offers no benefits. Read the information posted above on 'Shimergo' and the 'Hubbub' technique or buy a Jtek Shiftmate. On the plus side, you'll soon love Campag levers, so much xcomfier than Shimano!
  • rosco1 wrote:
    I have a boardman Comp (2008) with 9 speed cassette, Shimano 105 rear derailleur and a double crank. . My bike has been out of commission for 5 months now due to my Shimano Tiagra shifter becoming damaged.

I've just bought a set of Campagnola 10 Speed Egro Centaur shifter as a replacement.

However, what needs changed with this new set-up? I would be looking to change the cassette to a 10 speed to get the benefits but will i need to change the rear and front derailleurs, chain etc? Rumour has it i need a conversion cassette with a built in spacer, but then others say it will work fine. ratio's, gearing etc just confuse me, i just need it to work!:)

If someone could clear this up and just give me an idea of whats needed, i'd be grateful.

cheers
    Ross

Hubbub works a treat. :D
    I have 2 Ribble winter trainers (one with guards and one without), both are fitted with Campag Veloce 10 speed shifters and Shimano 105 front and rear mechs running 9 speed cassettes. The hubbub / shimergo works a treat. I then bought one of the Jeytek ShiftMates to try on my other bike - virtually no difference from the hubbub - save your money.