Brand new rotor warped?

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks,

How likely is it that a brand new rotor would be warped on arrival? I bought 2 - a 180mm and a 160mm. The 180 installed fine on the front but the I cannot get the 160 rear to stopping rubbing on the pads. It only rubs on the same section of rotor on every rotation which leads me to believe it's slightly warped. I tried a different rotor and it was fine.

I could try straightening it but I'd rather just send it back and get a new one.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info about straightening rotors in the sticky above.

and yes it is very possible that new rotors can be warped.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Send it back mate. Without doubt send it back!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Why? Rotors bend, you'll need to straighten it sooner or later so why not now? If you order a replacement there's every chance it'll not be straight either, even if it was bang on when it left the factory it's travelled halfway round the world since then, then been in a stockroom, then posted out to you so there's plenty of room there for it to pick up a bend.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    I'd deffinitely send it back. And I certainly wouldn't think, "oh well things bend, it was always going to bend sooner or later, may as well be bent out of the box". Thats ridiculous. Send the bloody thing back! Why should you spend your money on new things that are not pristine out the box?
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Louis84 wrote:
    I'd deffinitely send it back. And I certainly wouldn't think, "oh well things bend, it was always going to bend sooner or later, may as well be bent out of the box". Thats ridiculous. Send the bloody thing back! Why should you spend your money on new things that are not pristine out the box?

:?
    it will warp sooner or later , learn to fix it rather than be without a bike altogether.
    luckily for me , after fitting a saint 4 pot caliper a rotor that had been warped from new was immediatly straightened through the sheer power of the brake :lol:
  • 101_North
    Cheers folks. First new rotors I've bought so didn't realise it was a common enough problem. My first reaction was to send it back but I take the advice. It was cheap enough so I'll have a go at sorting it. Might need to sort one in a hurry sometime so best to know what I'm doing.

I've a spare wheel so I'll stick it on that and true it that way - saves me messing with the current rotor which is fine!

Whole issue could have been avoided if I didn't 'need' to have matching rotors :roll:

Cheers

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    As above, it should straighten itself out.....

I bought two superstar rotors recently and one of them was bent. Dont send it back just true it.
  • 101_North
    Well after an hour of chasing the warp around the rotor I've given up! It's much much better than it was but it's not perfect! I made it worse at the start by being a bit ham fisted but it's almost there. I'm hoping that what little rubbing there is might be removed after a bit of riding although probably wishful thinking! If not I'll have a another go tomorrow night!