Transporting your bike

Dubzy
Dubzy Posts: 123
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I would be interested in hearing how bike transportation problems have been overcome by forum members.

I have recently changed my car to a saloon and find that despite being able to fold the rear seats, the only way to fit my bike for transportation is to remove the front wheel. Which I don't want to keep doing.

I have considered a roof rack or rear rack but am unsure which is best. My problem is compounded by my car having a rather pronounced rear spoiler and rear racks don't seem to fit. Roof racks always seem unstable to me (unless you have evidence to the contrary) and I don't want a to have the rack permanently on the car but would be happy to keep fitting the roof rack as and when required. My car has in built slots to cater for a roof rack - is the installation of a roof rack relatively easy to do and if so what ones do members recommend?

Thanks for your help

Dubzy
Life's good

Boardman MTB Team

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Thule Proride 591 carriers on roof bars.

Very stable even driving like Colin McRae the twisty B roads.

Very easy to fit.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a tow bar mounted Thule on the back of the T4 and a Thule Proride 591 on the Swift sport.

and looking at getting a front fork mounting Thule one as well.

really want the one that they do in the US and Can.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pond skater
    pond skater Posts: 18
    just ordered a Thule Proride 591 carriers, as i was having the same problem
    kona caldera 2010
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I take train, im also 14
  • cbr6fs
    cbr6fs Posts: 14
    Where there's a will there's a way ;)

02042009349.jpg

02042009350.jpg
    1994 Diamond Back Axis TT (Fully Rigid)
    Trek Fuel EX 7
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    I used Halford high mount rack on my old primera sri saloon , like this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Primera_P11_SRi2.jpg
    It is a cheapish rack and a bit fiddly, but did the job and I could easily set the legs to avoid the spoiler. If your on a budget that rules out Thule, Saris etc... then it's worth looking at.

If you get one Make sure it's the high mount one though, as they do a couple of models.:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_251011_langId_-1_categoryId_165515
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Whats wrong with taking the wheel off everytime? Doesn't take long at all, no additional cost involved of buying rack/roof bars, marginaly increased safety of your bike., etc... I do this as I'm not a fan of racks (see too many wobble all over the place on the motorway and few too many horror stories to put me off) and im also the type of person who would forget the bike was on the roof :D

The option of a tow bar mounted rack does appeal, but once again its the additional costs of getting a tow bar for your car (unless lucky enough to already have one) that puts me off.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I take either one or both wheels off - not sure I see the problem. Racks and what not increase drag on the car and alter fuel efficiency and you'll leave the rack on when you dont have the bike so it costs money to buy and use and mounting the bike on the rack takes longer than chucking it in the car.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    You can't be bothered to take the frontt wheel off, yet your willing to mess around fitting a roof rack everytime you go? I think you need to think about priorities :lol: Why dont u just get a quick realease wheelset. No problem. I'd rip the silly spoiler off for a start!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I used to have a 20mm Maxle that's more fiddly then a standard QR, but it was a damn sight easier to take the wheel off and slide the bike it into the boot then to put it onto a bike rack.

The only option I'd consider nowadays is a tow bar carrier, anything else for me is no good.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    I originally used a second hand Halfords rear bike carrier which did the job really well then bought an estate and the carrier wouldn't fit on such just shoved the bikes the cavernous boot however getting tired of losing at least two of the three back seats and the boot becoming filthy after a muddy adventure and no bike wash

Just bought a roof mounted carrier and this seems to do the job nicely
    friend has a tow bar mounted carrier which is really impressive and easy to use
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I've tried all 3 options.

Removable rack on the back of the car - good at first. Straps soon got slidey and never gripped. Got to the stage of having to check on them at least twice a trip and constantly listening for the metal hooks bouncing on the road. People I know who've lost a bike off the back have been from this method.

Tow bar mounted - easy to get on and off the car. Usually enough room in the boot to store rack and lighting board. No access to the boot (unless you get one that tips forward). Seem fairly secure.

Roof mounted - nice and secure. Never had a problem when i thought I was lucky to still have my bike there. Easy to mount if you're tall enough to put it up and hold it while adjusting the clips. If it does happen to fall it could do a lot of damage to the car.

Overall I'd recommend roof mounting but wouldn't advise against the towbar.

Saying that mine goes in the boot at the moment! Took the roof racks off in the winter as the cables were freezing up getting there and it's been transported in the boot ever since (it is a Volvo estate though!!).
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Just take your front wheel of for god's sake!!! :roll:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    with the seats down i can easily get my road bike in the back of my girlfriends golf...

try simply popping the passenger seat forwards a chunk and rotating the front wheel into the gap as you put it in from the boot. should be easy then.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Roof racks are solid as proverbial rock.

Tow-bar mounted carriers are also very effective, but perhaps a bit pricey.

I have both: roof carrier on my 'runabout' car, tow-bar on the people-carrier. The people-carrier is too high for it to be convenient to put a bike on the roof. And the tow-bar rack takes 5 bikes so it's good for familly outings. Otherwise, I'd use a roof rack every time.
  • Saris Bones racks fit over spoilers. I can't really compare with other options as it is the only rack I've used, but it works well for me when I need to carry my road bike or MTB. It's certainly not a permanent solution and I remove the rack from my car after each use. It easily fits in the boot.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!