London Calling

Comments

• popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Cwmcarn was that good, I could even come back there again! Never mind Afan or Glyncowrg. Still need to explore more places in SWales.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Feeling a bit less battered now after a bit of sitting down, trying to decide which platform pedals to get, torn between V8's and Wellgo Copies.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • supra-man
    supra-man Posts: 358
    thel33ter wrote:
    Feeling a bit less battered now after a bit of sitting down, trying to decide which platform pedals to get, torn between V8's and Wellgo Copies.
    I had the same issue... and went for the copies, 5 quid of amazon.... to be honest i dont see them lack in grip went through snow ice mud dust ect bearings still good.... they have an excellent shape probably only down side you cant replace the grips or bearings and they will wear out , but for the price nothing to complain...
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Anybody up for a monday ride somewhere?
    fatfreddyscat is...
    Dkenny - I'm around Monday if you're up for a ride then. Can't make sunday unfortunately as I'll be in Manchester :(

Was hoping for a lie in at least one day, but I'll only end up doing nothing all day, so probably will make it. Question is where?

I'm still up for a Monday ride if you guys are about. Maybe a 10am start so that we can have a bit of a lie in? Could start at 9 though if you prefer earlier....

I haven't ridden for ages so I'm happy to go wherever you guys fancy.....
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    I'm thinking about a trip to PORC tomorrow which is here http://tiny.cc/pqsuc costs a couple of quid entry but has dh, freeride, jumps and a 4X track, anyone fancy it?
  • thel33ter
    Porc looks a bit Heroic for me and Cooldad, probably gonna do a slow road ride tomorrow.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    After a busy weekend I haven't got the energy today to get out, and got a pile of accounts stuff to sort out that I've put off for ages.

Next week then. Could be up for Swinley mid week. There was suggestion of Wales also (would have to be a weekend for me though).
  • popstar
    Need to check weather, if Saturday is a dry day, think I am set up for Cwmcarn definately! Last time took me 2.5 hours of driving each way, so not too bad compared to SH 1.2hours.

It looks from Wednesday onwards weather is improving, all dry and hitting Saturday at +22C* ! Hope no more than that, otherwise it would be a struggle.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    Bit unsure about Cwmcarn with you talking about all those jumps and drops! I need to learn how to do them.

P.S. We needed you there with the video yesterday for thel33ter's fine crash on the jump section :D
  • bungalistic
    Cwmcarn would be nice but it is hard for me to get there as it is a long drive and I can't afford the petrol on me own.

Unless you're doing the dh track there aren't many jumps on the xc loop apart from the small 'freeride' section at the top, most of it is just a fun and quite challenging xc loop.
  • supra-man
    If my rear shock is back from TFT , i ll hope in for a ride in cwm carn.
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    I should be up for wales at some point this week, got room for me +2, just got to work out who wants to go, in which cars and when! :)
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • popstar
    +1 to Plaisir. I could free up space in Plaisir's car and travel with Dkenny instead, or do other combos. All depends how many people want to go, going to Cwmcarn ... takes something around £25-£30 per head travel costs wise. Myself hope to squeeze 1 trip before that during the week too.

Anyone up for Thursday epic ?

• thel33ter
    Can't do anything further than Swinley this week, planning to go up up on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • popstar
    deadkenny wrote:
    Bit unsure about Cwmcarn with you talking about all those jumps and drops! I need to learn how to do them.

P.S. We needed you there with the video yesterday for thel33ter's fine crash on the jump section :D

If you wanted to get those jumps and some air, you would have to pump them on XC trail ... they are rollable. Drop on Mynydd Downhill we didn't do, didn't have balls and pyjamas for that, was a bit sick for our skillz.

Shame I was not present with camera in the right place and the right time, hope mad Thel33ter is OK.

Last run on Mangrove alley-Redhill was a good show around, shame it was very slippery after rain. Killed most fun out of madness.

• Anonymous
    popstar wrote:
    +1 to Plaisir. I could free up space in Plaisir's car and travel with Dkenny instead, or do other combos. All depends how many people want to go, going to Cwmcarn ... takes something around £25-£30 per head travel costs wise. Myself hope to squeeze 1 trip before that during the week too.

Anyone up for Thursday epic ?
    At present with bikes in the car, I can only get 1 passenger in. I'm looking into getting a rack but doubt I'd have anything sorted for a while. I could pick someone up if it's roughly on the way. You guys are mostly West London I think?

Can only do weekends at the moment though except for evenings at Swinley or Tunnel Hill (or that place near Fleet/Aldershot that I still haven't bothered to try despite being 1 minute out the door of work!).
  • thel33ter
    Fine now, few scrapes and bruises, but the crash looked bigger than the injuries from it. Did a road ride today that ended up taking 6 million hours because we got lost several times.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    Snow, rain then Wales, I'm in!!! Can only be a Weekend Warrior though?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    thel33ter wrote:
    Fine now, few scrapes and bruises, but the crash looked bigger than the injuries from it. Did a road ride today that ended up taking 6 million hours because we got lost several times.

6 million hours is a bit of an exaggeration. That's actually the amount of times you went ouch ouch ouch today.

In fairness though I think I whined even more.

Although lunch of a cold pie type object and packet of Hobnobs next to a duckpond in some random village wasn't too bad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bungalistic
    popstar wrote:
    ... takes something around £25-£30 per head travel costs wise.

I can't afford to go to Wales if it costs that much, just don't have the funds for that.
  • supra-man
    so how about part 2 and 3 of surrey hill epic??

I should get my shock back on friday,seems goodfor saturday :wink:

otherwise would any one go up to milton keynes ara, about an hour drive to check a pair of used fox forks??
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• bungalistic
    I could be up for chicksands (which is near milton keynes) if you're going up to check out some forks, what day were you thinking?

What is part 2 and 3 of the surrey hill epic? I'll happily go back at the weekend and ride more there with whoever isn't doing wales.
  • popstar
    Other video's are in progress, Vimeo doesn't allow me uploading more than 500mb a week. Picked some Video from STW forums, it's an ace!
    Helter wrote:
    Snow, rain then Wales, I'm in!!! Can only be a Weekend Warrior though?

I wouldn't have imagined that this forum would bring group rides this far?! Only the main starters of this thread are missing, aka Helter-Rosierosie. Hope Rosierosie doing mega rides in Scotland, and actually is uber-fit too! How is Rosierosie doing in the lands of free to roam anywhere*?
    Helter are you joining us on any rides? It was just about time to do.

Hope to get addtitional cameraman for better video's and extra fun, ...

• Anonymous
    So is the plan Wales, or SH over the weekend? Sunday is a little better for me, only because I'm less likely to have a hangover Sunday morning :D, but don't mind. I'm free both days at the moment.
  • emerywd
    emerywd Posts: 52
    I'm back from Germany for a few days this week and wondered if anyone's keen for a MTB ride in Surrey/Kent.

I have a car and can take one passenger (depart from SE London Dulwich area) - Fri / Sun. Possibly thurs/sat depending on how much road biking i manage to do ....

david
  • thel33ter
    popstar wrote:
    Hope to get addtitional cameraman for better video's and extra fun, ...

We may be getting one of those £10 Veho Muvi copies off ebay, depending on how well all the bits of my bike start working again.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • popstar
    David, there are riders heading to Surrey Hills this weekend ... keep in touch. Think few of us will head down to SWales as the weather promises to be good, don't see why have to miss opportunity.

• thel33ter
    Hmmm, I need to try to get cooldad to go down to Swales if its on Saturday, may not as we have a fifty mile road ride on Sunday and he's worried he will die from exhaustion.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    thel33ter wrote:
    Hmmm, I need to try to get cooldad to go down to Swales if its on Saturday, may not as we have a fifty mile road ride on Sunday and he's worried he will die from exhaustion.

More likely a short one in SH on Saturday. There's a Retrobike ride, so may try out old rigid. (As in old Rockhopper, not my old body)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • popstar
    Arghh, been uploading video whole day on Vimeo ... something wrong down there. I mean whole day.

Still need to decide who wants which day to go to SWales, might even squeeze some preparation ride in Surrey Hills. Ideally SWales Saturday, and if some don't get enough, cool down ride on Sunday in SH or vice versa.

Raise your hands for SWales trip!