Is it realistc to commute 22.4miles? Each wy

13»

Comments

• DDD,

Buy a hack bike that you would be comfortable locking up at Liverpool Street station.

Cycle daily to Liverpool Street station thus avoiding the crowded part of the commute.

Take train to Ilford and as you are going agains the main flow of commuters, you should get a seat both Journeys.

If feeling strong you can continue on the bike to work. If not feeling great, you can just get the train for the whole journey.

Make it easy to switch depending on the weather/season you are in.
    Why lock the bike up? I don't know the regs for the line out of Liverpool St, but if you are travelling in the opposite direction to the 'flow' of commuters, you may be able to take your bike with you. That is true of Southeastern IIRC.

That would allow you to start by cycling the 'with commuters direction' bit and then train to destination, whilst varying where you cycle back from. All without worrying about whether the bike will be there on your return.

As someone else said, are the facilities at this new job suitable for commuting by bike? Changing facilities? Lock ups?
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    I
    9. find a good reliable cheap bike shop. You'll need them
    11. have several bikes. You ought to have at least 1 spare "commute" bike at the very least
    12. learn how to maintain your bikes properly. Pay particular attention to brakes and wheel bearings
    Once your commute goes above above 10miles these are true. In the last 12 months I've bought (for just 1 bike)

1. New wheels (rims worn). New wheels can have rim replaced more easily. ;)
    2. Brake pads (2 pairs)
    3. Chain,& cassette
    4. 4 or 5 gear cable inners & one new set of outers
    5. 2 tyres
    6. Replacement SPD cleats.

This is on a daily total trip of 20-25 miles 4 days a week plus occasional weekend extras.

Mike
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    biondino wrote:
    DDD, have you considered a motorbike/scooter?

Yes, and the answer is no. No I wouldn't ride a motorbike or scooter.

Good suggestion though.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    How about a Cancellara special? ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    What is a Cancellara special?

In truth, I may have to forgo the bike for the first month or so... or buy a folder.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DLH1985
    DLH1985 Posts: 56
    Please keep us up to date with your progress. I'm starting a new job in July and my commute would be similar in distance to yours, I'm also in two minds whether to knuckle down (and also save some money) or whether to rely on trains. Let me know what it's like doing the distance 5 times a week followed by a day at work.

Dan
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    I'd do Wimbledon to Fenchurch St.

Then C2C to Barking (fair amount of bike space on there).

Then a short pootle up to Ilford from Barking.

Ride home.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    In truth, I may have to forgo the bike for the first month or so... or buy a folder.

Do eeeet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Do eeeet

+1. Join usssssssss.................. :D
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    +1

Up for some SCR Origami Edition on the Drag Strip.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Why don't you see by extending your current commute to 22.4 miles each way? You should work out within a couple of weeks whether you'll be able to keep it up or not.
  • DonDaddyD
    Why don't you see by extending your current commute to 22.4 miles each way? You should work out within a couple of weeks whether you'll be able to keep it up or not.

Its not so much the distance anymore as it is the route. I don't want to be met with 40mph roads, the North Circular or dual carriageways.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Its not so much the distance anymore as it is the route. I don't want to be met with 40mph roads, the North Circular or dual carriageways.

+1

The North Circular is pretty damned scary in a car. On a bike would be suicidal.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It's London - there's no shortage of roads! Try cycling in Yorkshire where you can easily do a 25 mile circuit with no short cut options!

Look at a site like Bikely - use the satellite images to id the dual carraigeways, use Street view to see what they look like from, errr, the street. Then go back to Bikely and put some routes in, see how the hills lie etc. Then try it out.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What is a Cancellara special?

Mechanical doping. There have been rumours (read as jealousy) that small electric motors have been in use in the pro peloton.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefever ... -seriously
    There's a thread over in the Pro Race section
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I've been doing a 40 mile roundtrip commute for a few years now. I work 12 hour shifts on average 4 times a week. That makes a 15 hour day, which was hard work at first, but I'm used to it now, and love it,and only miss on day when ice is about. The weather lately has been tremendous so that's made the experience even better. If I were you I'd go for it.
    k.curtis
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Another thought: It'd be worth having at least one bike equipped for panniers to haul your kit in.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Lot of good advice in this thread.

My commute isn't even 20 kilometres each way, but a lot of people regard it as long. It's generally about an hour on the road for me (you'd be surprised how many traffic lights there are in London).

If you're unsure about the distance, you could go with the Dahon TT option, which is appealing, or you could go by public transport Monday taking all your clothes for the week (and your towel! I forgot my towel today :oops: ), and maybe Friday to bring your dirty stuff home, leaving you to do ultra-lightweight loaded trips three days.

Make sure you do carry a decent toolkit and a pump, though, and allow tube changing time. Or you could use Marathon Plus, like I do, and not worry so much about unscheduled deflation events. But mechanicals do happen, and a few grammes of tool saves a long walk and a bollocking for being late (and bad PR for cycling as collateral damage).
    Riding on 531