Do you think my bike can handle some moderate downhill?

ExTrEmE BiKeR
ExTrEmE BiKeR Posts: 149
edited June 2010 in MTB general
im running this bike(except its the upgraded version with juicy 3 brakes)

http://www.norco.com/2008bikes/template ... w=&deets=2

with the 130mm version of these forks:

http://www.togoparts.com/items/view_item.php?iid=4595

do you think my bike can handle some beginner to intermediate downhill riding? it looks like alot of fun but i really dont have the money to blow on a proper dh bike. im only 135lbs so its not like i would be thrashing the bike around. this is where im planning on riding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6A7Bz4VrB0

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    It's not really designed for DH, but yes, you could, you'll just have to take it alot slower that the guys on full bouncers, and don't be suprised if you buckle wheels, snap mechs, rip up tyres.
  • Dth1
    Dth1 Posts: 22
    what type of downhilling are you thinking? any drops on that thing would be a bad idea, your rims wont hold up to much either. good luck!
  • ExTrEmE BiKeR
    ExTrEmE BiKeR Posts: 149
    nothing with any drops, just some stuff like in the vid above. i think i need some new wheels though, the bearings in them were actually starting to square off. does that have anything to do with a weak wheel?
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Bearings have pretty much nothing to do with the strength of a wheel. If you want to get into proper DH riding, and not much else, I would sell your bike and save up for a DH bike - beginner ones can be picked up for around £700. :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you should be fine if you ride within reason. You're likely to find that the setup of the bike prevents you from going "too far" anyway.
    The norco frames are built to a rather agricultural spec, so you should be okay!
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    i'm not familiar with that bike, but i ride more demanding tracks than that on a bidget hardtail. You should be fine. Having said tat, i have only had my bike for 6 weeks, but it hasn't broken yet.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    The vid you posted is much more like singletrack rather than DH, that norco should be fine, maybe put big brake rotors on and some more aggressive tyres, then replace stuff if it breaks :wink: So long as the wheels are a decent build and yourun your tyres at a lowish pressure they shouldn't be a problem.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Those trails aren't really downhill, not very tech, fairly smooth looking hardpack etc. Your bike should be fine for stuff like that.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    deffo not mega dh there mate, the road past my house is rougher than that :lol:

shouldnt have a problem there, norcos are built like brick sh!t houses :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Camera always smooths out the trails. But in this case it seems to have done an unusually good job :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    People really don't use the term Downhill correctly lol. I wouldn't even rate that video a green route.
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    supersonic wrote:
    People really don't use the term Downhill correctly lol. I wouldn't even rate that video a green route.
    :lol::lol:

However, just prove a point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv7TyakE8qw
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'd ride my hardtail on that trail definitely - looks a nice route - Blue Mountain is in the East of Canada isn't it?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    That bike will handle moderate down hill. just go for it. If you break the bike to bits then look at it this way.........you need a new bike to replace the one you've just broken, and you also need another bike for downhilling. It's win win my friend...........win, win. It's not whether the bike can handle it. It's whether you can handle and control your bike enough!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    that trail certainly isnt DH, just easy singletrack, could prob (def actually) ride it on a CX bike... your bike will be fine.... this is real DH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r19IYJhlRjM&feature=fvst
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Well that trail does go downhill.... Seriously though, just go and find out. But don't blame the bike if you can't ride it.
  • I'd ride my hardtail on that trail definitely - looks a nice route - Blue Mountain is in the East of Canada isn't it?
    yep. relative to the rest of canada it is. thats the easiest trail at the whole resort.

everyone else: im actually looking for an excuse to bulid up my bike so i kinda want to break things. i think im going to go for it. i dont think i need armor though. what do you guys think? is a regular helmet and gloves fine for stuff like this?
  • I'd ride my hardtail on that trail definitely - looks a nice route - Blue Mountain is in the East of Canada isn't it?
    yep. relative to the rest of canada it is. thats the easiest trail at the whole resort.

everyone else: im actually looking for an excuse to bulid up my bike so i kinda want to break things. i think im going to go for it. i dont think i need armor though. what do you guys think? is a regular helmet and gloves fine for stuff like this?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    normal gloves and helmet should be fine - some knee pads might be a good idea and possibly elbow guards but you should be fine - a bit of armour just adds a bit of confidence to the ride.

Your bike should hold up fine - try not to drag the brakes too much, let the bike run then brake for corners - if you drag them you might overheat them. just have fun and let the speed build with your confidence - a low saddle and a good attack position all the way and concentrate on letting the bike move under you.

I work in BC in the winters - I meet lots of people who ski at Blue Mountain - good to see it getting some summer use too!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • wow, lucky! ive always wanted to go out west. it must be sick there riding in all that pow that we never get in ontario. where did you ski there?