Cleaning Disc Brakes

rogerthecat
rogerthecat Posts: 669
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
Guys what do you use to clean your discs with? I was told an alchol based liquid should be used; are there any gems out there like mouthwash or a household product that is used? The reason I ask apart from the obvious, is that I use baby wipes to clean my ride with. A tip that I picked up off here.

Thanks

RTC

Comments

• Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Isopropyl alcohol, or proper disc brake cleaner (muc off and the like all do their own versions)
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • rogerthecat
    so it's better to use shop bought stuff rather than a house hold product! thanks buddy, well you never know unless you ask.
  • Thread8
    Generally yes it is, as they contain stuff that rejuvenate the pads, increase the bite etc as well as get dirt off the rotors
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

• rogerthecat
    cool thanks, while I have your attention, may we discus pedals? I am looking at Crank Bro C, the Pedal configuration is vast, Help
  • Thread8
    Can do, you looking for spuds or flats?
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

• rogerthecat
    lol what? I use Speedplay Zeros for my road bike, Which is the better option.
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    Would car based brake cleaner not do the job as equally well and you get the wonderful ether smells as well.

I think I paid about 1.50 for a massive can of brake cleaner last time I used some
  • Thread8
    Quirrel

I dont think you can, although saying that I've never tried it, someone else on here should know
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

• W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    Yes it would work fine, makes no difference if its on a car or a bike !!
  • yeah ive used universal brake and clutch cleaner cause it was cheaper, and its exactly the same as muc off :)
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    1.83 at Europarts
    Or any other normal car accessory store.

6.99 at Halfords