faster tyres for mountain bike

jacko123
jacko123 Posts: 21
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Just puchased a trek bike and the tyres are somewhat nobbly for riding on harder surfaces including roads, thinking of another set for use on roads and paths anyone any reccomendations, looked at the continental travel contact seem like a good combination

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Try Maxxis Ignitors :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • burrell3143
    burrell3143 Posts: 63
    schwalbe smart sams are very quick tyres, my brother has them and i cant keep up with him.
  • white.akita
    white.akita Posts: 28
    ive just taken a halo twin rail off my bike that was very good and silent.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I use Geax Booze and Maxxis Holly Rollers for hardpack and street, the Booze a good for roads. Both can get sketch on loose stuff though.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    Is there a ture do it all tyre?

I see the Kenda Small Block mentioned a fair bit.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Twin rails are really good on dry hard surfaces, and are ok on slightly softer stuff
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • jacko123
    jacko123 Posts: 21
    thanks for the suggestions heard many good things about schwalbe tyres, are the continentals not that rated?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Quirrel wrote:
    I see the Kenda Small Block mentioned a fair bit.

For good reason, they're mint. Not "do it all", they struggle in mud a bit but then everything else that's as fast as the small block is worse in mud.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Maxxis Crossmark..fast with a raised centre ridge...running one at the mo on the rear and it is ace :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • burrell3143
    burrell3143 Posts: 63
    running maxxis ignitor on front and maxxis high roller on rear both at 2.10, did cannock chase on them sunday very impressed and seem very good on the road but only fitted on saturday had panaracer cinder before not so impressed
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Intense Micro Knobby's are brilliant rear tyres, just don't go near anything even remotely damp or you'll be all over the place and on your arse quicker than you can say "tyre" :lol:
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited May 2010
    For a good all round combination consider a Maxxis Ignitor on the front and a Maxxis Crossmark on the back.

Ignitors do seem pretty fast off road, on hard pack. But not on the road. It makes scene because on the road most of you weight will be on the back wheel, but off road, particularly down hill most of the braking and steering is provided by the front where the Ignitor works well.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Crossmark's not a patch on the smallblock IMO... Not quite as fast, the grip's about the same in the dry, but they don't compare at all in the wet. Heavier to boot. Not better than the SB at anything as far as I can tell, on the rear at least, never used one on the front.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It makes scene because on the road most of you weight will be on the back wheel, but off road, particularly down hill most of the braking and steering is provided by the front where the Ignitor works well.

(I added that bit after you posted, don't think it contradicts what your saying, but thought I should say I added it after your post).