MTB Games

tich
tich Posts: 6
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hi all I instruct and coach a lot of mountain biking to all ages of young people and find that doing the same activities can get a bit exhausting and boring so try and keep it varied and for all those other coaches i thought it might be usefull to share tips and tricks of the trade and games and activities they use to teach people.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just ride and don't pay instructors :wink:
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Slow race, last one to a given point wins, do it in a carpark or something, its good because it teaches balance skills and handling etc

Coast contest, each person can put in 3 full pedal revs then has to freewheel and keep the bike going, furthest wins

I'll think of more later
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • tich
    Unfortunatly not everyone gets the chance to ride a bike in the real world so instructors that are avaliable to go round with a fleet of bikes to provide the sport to deprived young people in schools and out of school clubs are a valuable assett to these young people. Not everyone in the world has enough money to buy a bike to go mountain biking.
  • tich
    Dodge
    Make a square on the ground and all the participants have to stay in the box without putting their feet on the floor, crashing into anyone else or pushing anyone else. this teaches them balance and is very good when linked to teaching track stands
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    First gear relay, bicycle limbo and trying to hit a target with a frisbee while riding are some of my favourites and usually keep people entertained
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Thread8
    My slow race helps with that, bike control and braking, the coast race helps with pumping and handling skills 8)
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

• Thread8
    Also, bunny hop high jump, self explanatory really :)
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

• mf5
    mf5 Posts: 207
    Game I used to play with school mates, around field or where ever we could.

Aim to be in front of the pack and get away from everyone else and through set a gate, the more obstacles the better. No set route who ever is on the front goes what ever to get away from rest and through the gate
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A sense of humour lol.