Hope Head Doctor

Michelle_Sco
Michelle_Sco Posts: 26
edited June 2010 in Workshop
Hi I was wondering if the Hope Head Doctor would be OK for a Carbon Steerer?

HDOCG.jpg

or is there a better one I could get? Must be Red though :lol:
Contact matt at bikeradar dot com please

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Looks the same, in principle, as mine, and I have a carbon steerer, but it's not Hope, and it's not red!
    Very good system...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1 wrote:
    Looks the same, in principle, as mine, and I have a carbon steerer, but it's not Hope, and it's not red!
    Very good system...

What make is yours?
    Contact matt at bikeradar dot com please
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Head Doctor is too big for a carbon steerer, unfortunately - will not fit without serious modification. The top cap on its own will fit, but you can buy that separately anyway...

Plenty of cheap expander bolts available from somewhere like Wiggle, so buy one of those with the Hope top cap and bob's yer uncle...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    hopper1 wrote:
    Very good system...

What make is yours?

I think it's FSA, but looks like this:
    pro-prs320572-med.jpg

Found here :wink:

Not red :cry:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    softlad wrote:
    Head Doctor is too big for a carbon steerer, unfortunately - will not fit without serious modification. The top cap on its own will fit, but you can buy that separately anyway...

Plenty of cheap expander bolts available from somewhere like Wiggle, so buy one of those with the Hope top cap and bob's yer uncle...
    I have Head Doctor's on both of my bikes, both of which have carbon steerers. On one, I had to remove the reinforcing sleeve, but that's a piece of cake and of no detriment to strength, given the way the HD is designed.

The Head Doctors have been fantastic and I haven't needed to tighten them in 12 months (whereas the OEM top caps etc needed regular attention.