Specialized Allez vs Secteur

dave_rudge
dave_rudge Posts: 22
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

Im looking at buying my first road bike - ive looked through all the literature and have kinda fallen in love with the Specialized Allez. I went into the Specialized concept store at the weekend and had a chat with one of the guys in there and said that I liked the Allez, but as a newbie I was a little concerned about the width of the tires (although I thought they could be replaced with slightly thicker profile tires) and that id like to do some touring at somepoint - although id read that the Allez didnt perform very well with paniers. Mainly though im just looking for a road bike i can train on and do triathalons on

The guy said that the Secteur would offer me the best of both worlds and allow me to do both touring and tri - and kinda ignored the fact id said i like the Allez and ran through what the Secteur, without really menitoning the Allez again.

Im now confused - id had my heart set on the Allez and I dont want to get a secteur and then regret it. Do i pick the Secteur, even though I dont like the way it looks but i can use it for everything, or do I get the Allez and then when I want to do some touring get a second, touring bike?

Also, assuming that my budget stretches to any of the Allez bikes, should I be looking at triple, compact or double chainsets?

Any advice / guidence would be brilliant!

Comments

• EssexSuffolk
    EssexSuffolk Posts: 112
    Secteur for touring? I'm not sure that's correct - I can't see any eyelets for panniers. As far as I know, the Secteur is designed for comfort on long all-day rides. The Allez is a slightly "racier" riding position. If you're looking to do tri etc, I'd be going for the Allez - it's a well-regarded entry level road bike. People have toured on them: not ideal, by any measure, but it can be done.

Looks aren't supposed to be important, we all know that, but they make a difference to how you feel about riding a bike, so should be factored into the equation.

A couple of years ago, I had a similar question - I wanted a road bike for tri, touring and general training. I ended up with a Giant Defy 2 and love it, just got back from a big ride. I could tour on it (with lightweight panniers), but in all reality, will probably end up getting something else for that purpose.

Hope this helps!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi there Dave,

My advice (which, like all advice, you should feel free to discard) is not to worry too much about what you may or may not do in the future. Trying to buy a decent road bike (and hand over all that hard earned cash) is tough enough without trying to buy the ideal bike to doeverything: races, triathalons, off roading, shopping, etc. Just buy a bike that makes you smile when you see it, and when you sit on it you don't want to get off. If you end up wanting to do some touring at some point, buy a cheap second hand tourer. The allez is not that aggressive in its riding position and wil be handy/fast for any sportive.

I suggest you go to a shop that does test rides, try a few more models than you current narrow choice, make sure you get a decent fit and pick the bike you don't want to give back.

Triple or compact is a tougher thing to cover off. I have a triple (on a Secteur, funnily enough) and I rate it, although I recently went up to a different cassette (from a 12-27 to an 11-25) as I wasn't using the bottom anymore and wanted something extra at the top. The more experienced/competent riders will always go for a compact/double because they don't need the bottom ring at the front. You could always go for a compact and stick on a 12-28 to make it easier to start with (keeping the original cassette to swap back when you are stronger). Cassettes are fairly cheap/easy to swap.
  • if it helps i have just brought a Allez Sport triple picked it up 10th may and have had 12 rides on it i work pretty ridiculous hours but have been getting up at 6 etc and stuff to use it an absolutely love it
    i knew nothing about cycling it was more i wanted t just get fit didnt wanna blow loads of cash etc although i have got a bit carried away but im well impressed with my allez does everything i need it to an i think it looks amazing.
    Snowboarding is my other vice an graphics count for a lot although they add no benefit so dont be put off gettting one u like the look of so long as it does what u need it to do most that would be my advice.

I got the triple jsut cos it was onyl 30 more and figured as a newbie i might wat the low gear!
    Go hard or go home ....
  • If you live in a hilly area like I do, then go for a triple. I bought the Allez double some time ago and now regret not getting the triple as I am surrounded by uber-ninja hills! :cry:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    My Allez is pretty much "all day ride" comfortable, however, I am not sure I'd choose either the Allez or the Secteur to "tour" on.

As for triple vs double vs compact, seems to be one of the "hot topics", and many people have different opinions, I have the compact, and am never found wanting for a higher, or lower gear, infact, I rarely drop to the small ring upfront, but I live in a fairly flat area.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I quite fancied a Secteur, actually I wanted a Roubaix but didn't have the budget. I saw a Secteur at a shop in Inverness and it was a good bit heavier than I expected. They can be fitted with a rack, one of theirs had one but I didn't notice how it was mounted. Seemed a well put together bit of kit and it's an excellent marketing idea but somehow it just didn't do it for me in the flesh.

If you're new to road biking get the tripple, you might not need it often but tired legs at the end of long run with thank you on the final few steep hills. Unless you live in Norfolk of course!

In the end I got a used Cannondale CAAD5 with 105 and love it to bits. If I was buying now I'd have one of these with a Shimano 105 groupset :
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-uk-35778

As for touring one thing I'd suggest is fitting a more upright stem for the tours, leave the low riding position for the fast and shorter runs. Maybe in my dotage (OK, I'm 42) I'm not as flexible as I used to be :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    Secteurs come with eyelets at the back for panniers so that's a possibility and certainly would be good for some light touring (carbon front fork on most of the models so no eyelets on the front).
  • The Jack
    The Jack Posts: 52
    You should of course test both models before deciding. The one that feels better is better.
    I own a Secteur comp int and having ridden about 300 miles on it I couldn´t be happier. It´s very comfortable and I could very well imagine myself touring on it.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    unixnerd wrote:
    I quite fancied a Secteur, actually I wanted a Roubaix but didn't have the budget. I saw a Secteur at a shop in Inverness and it was a good bit heavier than I expected.quote]

My mate has a roubaix elite and I have a secteur elite and the secteur is only, from memory 9 oz heavier if both bikes are standard, not having standard wheels now mine should be lighter anyway but they are practically the same weight wise.