Colnago or Basso and which model?

miurasv
miurasv Posts: 345
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
My brother had sort of decided to get a Basso Astra but in the end decided to go for the Colnago CLX 2 because Colnago are very well known and only make excellent products and a safer bet? However, he has until Tuesday morning to finally make his mind up and he can't help feeling that the Basso may be a better frame?

He's also thinking should he spend the extra money and get a Colnago CX1 or the Basso Diamante. Does anyone know here if Basso frames are as good as Colnago from a build quality and design point of view? He knows about the Astra and CLX 2 frames being more comfortable which he will appreciate but he also likes stiffness and the bling sexy factor of the CX1 and Diamante. He also knows the Bassos are made in Italy which is a plus although there is no logical reason to dismiss the Taiwanese made Colnagos. What do you think? Basso or Colnago and which one? Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Just because something is very well known doesn't make it better.

Madonna's very well known but she's s h i t
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • miurasv
    Just because something is very well known doesn't make it better.

Madonna's very well known but she's s h i t

Ha ha. Yes, very funny but Colnago aren't well known for being as you say Madonna is but for making excellent bike frames. Does anyone have an opinion on Basso bikes and also how they compare to Colnago and in particular how the Astra and Diamante compare to the CLX 2 and CX 1?
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    have a look here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12695397

I asked something similar.
  • miurasv
    matterai wrote:
    have a look here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12695397

I asked something similar.

Thanks. I had read your thread but greedy for more info on the Basso Diamante (£2499) and Astra (£1699) and how they compare at their price points to the competition. Hopefully the finish on the bikes that Nicensleasy saw at the London Show aren't typical of production examples.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    One of my mates has got the basso with his team this year and loves it. Didn't it get a good review from bikeradar too? Dead stiff apparently.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • miurasv
    He decided to get the Colnago CLX 2, Campag Chorus 11 Group Set and Eurus 2010 2 way fit wheels. They will arrive tomorrow. The Bassos sound like they are good bikes though.
  • matterai
    sounds great and sounds like what I may have gone for if I had gone for the CLX 2
  • miurasv
    matterai wrote:
    sounds great and sounds like what I may have gone for if I had gone for the CLX 2

Cheers. He's very excited. He was going to go for the Diamante but the dealer thinks he'd like the Colnago CLX2 more so he went for that. He said it's a great frame. I must admit I'm looking forward to seeing it myself.
  • miurasv
    edited June 2010
    I saw the CLX 2.0 tonight. It's white and red with Chorus 11 and Eurus 2 way fit wheels. It is the most beautiful bike I have ever seen. Absolutely beautiful. It really is. Ridewise it exceded his expectations and he prefers it to the Wilier Izoard 2010, Cannondale Super Six and Kuota Karma that he has had recently. My next bike will be a Colnago.
  • matterai
    What a C59? :)

My next bike will be Colnago too and hopefully I pick it up this weekend!!
  • miurasv
    matterai wrote:
    What a C59? :)

My next bike will be Colnago too and hopefully I pick it up this weekend!!

Probably a CLX 2.0 or CX 1. I think the best looking Colnago is the C:X 2.0 although I haven't seen the others in the flesh. The detailing of all the tubes are superb, The CX 1 doesn't have as nice tube detailing and the EPS even more conventional and less substantial looking tubes even though I'm sure their not. I'll have to see them all in the flesh really to make a proper judgement on the way they look. What do you think? What's the full spec of the Extreme C you're getting?
  • matterai
    I am no expert but I think my captain is waiting for the c59. I could only dream about that

Mine is.

Extreme c F+f
    Deda zero 100 bars and stem.
    Chorus 11sp group exc callipers.
    Record black callipers.
    Prologo scratch pro saddle.
    Keo carbon max 2 pedals.
    Zipp 404's
  • miurasv
    matterai wrote:
    I am no expert but I think my captain is waiting for the c59. I could only dream about that

Mine is.

Extreme c F+f
    Deda zero 100 bars and stem.
    Chorus 11sp group exc callipers.
    Record black callipers.
    Prologo scratch pro saddle.
    Keo carbon max 2 pedals.
    Zipp 404's

Sounds really great. My brother has the same bars too. I bet you'll love it. Top Colnago frame with excellent kit. Please post some pics if you can.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The C59 won't be out just yet but isn't going to replace the EPS, good news I reckon.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showth ... p?t=211618
  • My understanding is that the C59 won't replace the EPS. The EPS will still be in the range, just demoted to second from top (see the post by WrenchScienceCliff).

Typical that the C59 is announced just after I've placed an order for an EPS!
  • miurasv
    What other bikes are Colnago bringing out apart from the C59? Is the CX 1 going to be updated?
  • matterai
    miurasv wrote:
    Sounds really great. My brother has the same bars too. I bet you'll love it. Top Colnago frame with excellent kit. Please post some pics if you can.

I do aim to
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    My understanding is that the C59 won't replace the EPS. The EPS will still be in the range, just demoted to second from top (see the post by WrenchScienceCliff).

yes I just said that :wink:
  • matterai
    Good link about it. Thanks
  • My understanding is that the C59 won't replace the EPS. The EPS will still be in the range, just demoted to second from top (see the post by WrenchScienceCliff).

yes I just said that :wink:

Sorry totally misread your post. :oops: