Helmets

chrisbassist
chrisbassist Posts: 115
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Not sure what helmet to get,

got my bike the other day, and i'm kinda restricted to reasonably flat land and stuff til I can get myself a good helmet.

I'm not a fan of the "normal helmet" styles, much prefer the BMX styles, or even full face...

any other styles out there? that won't cost a fortune.....

Comments

• chain reaction cycles have a good selection, but u need to try some on to find out what size you are and what fits well
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    To be honest you will look a goon wearing a full face for tootling around on fireroads and forrest paths.. the 661 Recon looks cool (if yiou can get one) the Fox Flux or any of the Giro range look the part...after all its about protecting your bonce rather than a style statement
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • chrisbassist
    Looking on the chain reaction site, I mainly like the dirt jump style helmets.

I also tried one of that style whilst in a halfords, and it was pretty comfy. Do those styles vary much in their fit?

You say it's about protection, not style. If that was completely true then everyone would wear full face. And if I was only concerned about style, I wouldn't be looking for a helmet...

Things always tend to fall halfway between. So I'm looking for a helmet which I like thestyle of. That way I'm happy about not looking a total idiot, but I'm also protected.
  • yeah thats fair, i bought the pro tec helmet http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31874
    but i bought it in the wrong size (cause im an idiot, i believe that is the technical term for me) so it never really fitted properly. therefore i went and bought a bell slant from halfords for £35, and its so much more comfey and light ill just stick with that.
  • chrisbassist
    Actually, I quite like that pro tec. Looks like it gets good reviews too. Now if I can remember what size the one I tried on was... Either L or XL. I guess I'll need to measure to make sure. Always found this style fairly comfy in my bmx days too.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'm not a fan of the "normal helmet" styles, much prefer the BMX styles, or even full face...

any other styles out there? that won't cost a fortune.....
    THE Industries F14 is a pisspot style lid but has the vents you see on a normal mtb/road lid. Does the job very nicely.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    All I was trying to say was a full face would be overkill for your riding style..much like wearing racing overalls and a full face helmet to go to work in the car....there are plenty of nice XC/FR lids that are designed to look cool whilst fulfilling form and function..some like the Recon offer more protection at the back and sides...try some out then trawl through the on-line stores as they usually offer discounts over your LBS...moreso if you choose last years model..

I have a Giro Xen and these always get great reviews, light, strong and stylish..the retail at over £100 but you can get 09 models for around £60...this will offer all the protection you need.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • chrisbassist
    cheers for the help everyone.

looking like the pro tec might be my purchase... hopefully i'll find one in a LSB to check the fitting,
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Go for a lid with lots of vents. My mates son rides with us sometimes and he wears a pisspot lid because he is a teenager and values looks over function. Youth :roll: they wont do what they are told not like in my day :lol: . You should have seen the sweat dripping off him yesterday at the top of the first long climb and it wasnt even hot.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chrisbassist
    Cheers for the tip.

I'll keep an eye for one I like with lots of vents.

Can someone inform me as to why they are reffered to as pisspots?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    chrisbassist
    chamberpot.jpg
    =
    p72914b.jpg

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • chrisbassist
    I've spotted a major flaw...

the helmet doesn't have a handle...

other than that, fair enough, lol.
  • chrisbassist
    Bought helmet today. Sacrificed my prefered style for vents. It's something I hadn't thought about so thanks. Was comfy enough on a quick ride, in fact halfway through I'd forgotten it was there. I only remembered about it because for some reason I got an itch under the helmet. Went to scratch it and couldn't.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Went to scratch it and couldn't.

:lol: I once went to scratch my bonce forgetting I had a helmet on and somehow the pull loop on my glove got tangled up in the helmet strap buckle. Was interesting trying to stop the bike one handed so I could untangle everything.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chrisbassist
    lol, I can see getting tangled being a nightmare. yeah a did a 4 mile ride looking for decent routes around me without going too far. It's all a bit flat but at least i've found some better terrain rather than roads.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Look on BikeHike. A good tip is to print screen or 'snip' (if you're using Windows 7) a peice of the OS map off there, and put it on youe phone, that way you can refer back to it on a ride, without the hassle of carrying a whole paper map with you.

Anyway, use bikehike to look for bridleways. But not footpaths, of course, because you shouldn't ride on those. So definitely don't ride on any deserted footpaths that are never used by anyone else.......
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    if you can get straps for that "pisspot" the handle would be a great helmet light mount!!!!!!!!!!!!