Is it worth upgrading from SRAM X9 shifters to X0 shifters?

Big dave 3
Big dave 3 Posts: 304
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
As per the title really. I currently have X9 shifters on my Boardman HT Pro. They seem hard work in comparison with the XTR shifters on my Cube.

Is it worth spending £120 odd quid on SRAM X0 shifters? Would it make a noticeable difference? are they like XTR shifters where you can change 2 gears at once & push or pull them to change gear?

Or do I just need to get used to the X9 shifters? :oops:
/

Marin Team HT (customiosed commuter)

Boardman Team HT (customised commuter)

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is no operating difference between X0 and X9 or X7, you can multi shift one way.

yes they do feel different to shimano.

so to sum up. not worth it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Brigand_691
    Brigand_691 Posts: 20
    What have you upgraded / changed on your Pro HT so far?

I have a Boardman HT pro also and sorted out an upgrade / change list and the shifters are probably last on list to be honest. I have tried some X0 ones and not much real difference to justify the cost.
  • Big dave 3
    Cheers for the reply Nicklouse & Brigand. I like your summing up Nicklouse!

I was trying to figure out what is actually good about them to justify their price tag from the SRAM website but it went over my head.

IMO upgrading from Deore to XTR shifters on my Cube was noticeable & prob my favourite upgrade.

SO far the only upgrade on Boardman is ultralight inner tubes & semi-slicks & Ritchey Ergo grips. I was planning on getting Ritchey WCS white stem, seatpost, saddle & carbon handlebar. Not really necessary upgrades but they will make the bike look better :oops:
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ok you have changed the points. X9 to X0 is like XT to XTR. the current X9 is Old X0.

so changing up a level only gets you the latest lightest kit. (XX is the same as X0)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    I have both X9 & X0 shifters and there's no noticeable difference in shifting performance.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    If you really don't get on with the SRam shifters you could change to Shimano XT shifters:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-gear-levers-shimano-and-sram-gear-levers/shimano-xt-770-shifters.html

I think shimano shifters will work with your front SRam derailleur but not the rear (might be the other way round you would need to check). So as long as you change one of your mechs (think it will be your rear mech) then you would end up with the shimano shifting you like for around the price your thinking of spending on SRam X0 shifters.

I would give the current SRam shifters a good go to see if you get used to them but this is an option.
  • Big dave 3
    Cheers for advice AL & Hairy Boy. I thought X0 shifters may do something special that X9 ones didnt. I will give them a miss then.

I have a 2 week old Boardman Pro with a X0 rear mech on which costs a fair bit I believe so it would be expensive to take that off & then get a XT mech & XT shifters. I may do this when the X0 mech & shifters are kanckered though :)
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Big dave 3 wrote:
    Cheers for advice AL & Hairy Boy. I thought X0 shifters may do something special that X9 ones didnt. I will give them a miss then.

Other than a bit of carbon bling (that you can barely see beneath the brake levers) there's sadly no special gimmicks with the X0.

IMG_2945.jpg

I'd use X9 and spend the cash you saved on something else.
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    x9 is exactly the same as x0 just uses aluminium instead of carbon and fancy colours which you won't see under the brake levers
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • monkeypants
    monkeypants Posts: 150
    If they're feeling like hard work, check your cables. I serviced a mate's FS Comp and it was almost impossible to shift at all, took the cables out and the shifters themselves were fine, the cables were gash though, he'd only been riding it for a few months.
  • Big dave 3
    Good point monkeypants. I only got the bike 2 weeks ago but Halfords staff are useless at putting bikes together so may have well fu~~ed it up.

I'll have a look at the cables & give them a GT85 spray :P
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • monkeypants
    GT85 should help a bit, I really doubt it's the shifters themselves especially if they're both feeling stiff.

I say "he'd only been riding it for a few months" he'd had the problems as long as I've known him to have the bike (i.e. just after he got it)

If you're handy with tools and GT85 doesn't help (or is only temporary), whip off the cables and replace them with something like Transfil Black/Flying Snake.
  • Big dave 3
    Oh I have never heard of Transfil Black/Flying snake cables.

Are these better than XTR cables? I am currently running them on my Cube & have a spare pack :wink:
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • monkeypants
    They're my preferred brand of cables, very long lived, excellent value for money and smoother than a greased rat in a drainpipe.

I can't say anything bad about XTR cables though, they'll be more than good enough. No point spending money if you don't have to. :wink:
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    baba123 wrote:
    x9 is exactly the same as x0 just uses aluminium instead of carbon and fancy colours which you won't see under the brake levers
    You forgot to mention that the trigger on X0 is Aluminium and not plastic like on the X9.

I have both X9 and X0 on two bikes and whilst the shifting performance of X9 and X0 seems the same, X0 feels better - a more solid and robust feel.