Slime inner tubes

mattie007
mattie007 Posts: 98
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
What are peoples thoughts compared to conventional tubes?
I do seem to get alot of punctures so im thinking of changing over to the slime ones.
Do they just pump up like a normal inner tube?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent, but cheapish tyre pump?
Ive got a £4 Halfords one but its very poor, yet the next one up in my local store was £25!!
'07 Giant Terrago - Gone but not forgotten....thankyou Center Parcs...... :(

'11 Giant Talon 0

Comments

• spud-face
    spud-face Posts: 120
    decathlon pumps are pretty dandy, but then i've been using a cheapo argos one for 7 or so years. the slime tubes make the wheels feel heavy as fun, but when i used to use them were amazing (other experiences may vary). they took 2-3 years of commuting across southampton town centre and docks (glass and bit's o' junk a-go-go) with only one puncture (woodscrew, so no complaints). if getting places is more important than getting there fast, i'd give them a go. an alternative would be that plastic protective layer stuff that you can put in the tyre, but no idea whether that's any kop..
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sli ... gn=froogle
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Hack bike has had slimed tubes and kevlar tape, ridden almost every day for 3 or 4 years across loughborough uni campus and through portsmouth (both fairly glass heavy), with only two punctures. They don't half make the wheels sluggish though, and I suspect the effect would be worse off-road on a mtb
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • mattie007
    Thanks for the reply.
    You say it makes the wheels feel more heavy. Is it a massive difference or just slightly more noticable at first?
    I mainly ride on the road at reasonable pace, nothing too fast though.

My brother works at Decathlon so thats handy!

'11 Giant Talon 0
  • spud-face
    spud-face Posts: 120
    decathlon rules! it's a godsend having a branch just round the corner.
    the bike i used them on was old as the hills and held together by rust and gaffa tape, so i'm not sure whether it was entirely the tube's fault i was so slow, but always felt i was putting far more effort in than i was getting movement out. you could maybe compensate for them with really light tyres, or enormous legs.
    try taking the valve out of an old inner tube and filling it with ketchup - cheaper way to test the rolling resistance.. :D
  • mattie007
    Good advice ;)

'11 Giant Talon 0