What Quick Release?

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Im looking to get some new quick release skewers for my scale 60.

I have been looking at the Hope ones but have seen quite a few reviews for and against.

The other ones i have seen are the Shimano XT ones - £29.99 off EBAY.

What are peeps views?

Many Thanks
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    never tried hope or shimano but I do have a superstar set, nice and light come in loads of colours and so far not loosened

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... afa4816f89

I think your better off spending your £30 here
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I like XT, the offset lever fits round bits of frame and fork better in my opinion
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Anything wrong with the ones you have? Are you looking for lighter weight, a better action?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    i've tried most and Shimano Deore by a country mile
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    +1 for Superstar QRs. Never had any issues with them at all. Oh, and they look ace :D
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Shimano Deore, think I got mine for £9.99. Weight difference with XT is negligible, and they just work with no hassles which is more than can be said for some flashier alternatives.

So if you want your QRs to quietly get on with the job of holding your wheels on then Shimano all the way, if you're more concerned with bling then just choose the ones you like the look of.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Yeah, deore do the job just as well- I just have xt...
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    I have a Hope on the rear and XT on the front.
    The XT is much easier to operate. The Hope one is pretty much the same as any standard (non-shimano) QR, just beautifully machined and light.
  • Anybody ever used the titanium skewers? A couple of shops on ebay are selling them between £20 - £30. Think superstar also sell them, I would assume that these would be stronger than the hollow skewers due to the material used, but would they be stronger than cromo-steel?
    BeOne Frame, RockShox Recon, Mavic 719 XT Hubs, Elixr R brakes, floating rotor, SLX Drivetrain.
    Webdesign project http://www.nfpc.org.uk
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I believe it can be harder to get the right amount of pressure with titanium skewers as the rod flexes/stretches as you tighten it up
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i recently got XT, they are wonderfull, very smooth, easy to get a good tight grip, and light. look quite good (in silver) too IMHO. very smooth.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • blister pus
    If you wanted a substitute for shimano that come in colours i've found A2Z cromo skewers to be pretty good, come with nice feel and 'bling' colours and reasonably priced, i'm using them now and they're decent enough. not as nice as shimano but there you go.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I had XT and decided to try a set of KCNC titanium skewers.

Suffice to say I'm still using the XT's - they're just better in every aspect except weight and looks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Shimano ones just work how they should - others just don't seem to work as well (weight, colour and looks aside)

Shimano have perfected the internal cam system.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Gotta agree with the Shimano fans here - Ive been through everything from Hope to Salsa etc. and have finally come back to XT. They just work brilliantly, all the time.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Never realised there was so much to say about skewers
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I go with Blisterpuss and say the cromo A2Z's think they are now doing titanium versions..you can get them of ebay for around £20 the pair...and IMO look way better than the Hope's
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    For what it's worth the Hope ones I was planning to use on my EX8 were noticeably heavier than the stock Bonty ones I ended up keeping (not for weight, but because I couldn't get the lever off to use on the longer APB skewer).
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    My riding buddy has the A2Z's on his 09 EX8 as the anodised red goes really well with last years colours...he raves about them
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • blister pus
    i've got the red cromo ones and they are nice.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    a2z are okay, superstar are nice, hope are good etc.

they're all much of a muchness, none work as well as the shimano enclosed cam designs and my preference for tarty ones are the crank brothers ones 8)
  • blister pus
    a2z cromo have a nice long, decent shaped lever and the bush has a nice solid supple feel, good finish, are actually better than 'okay' for the price.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I would go so far as to say the A2Z are truly excellent especially for the money. I bought some on the off chance and I'm very impressed with them.
  • and now for something completely different. ive got Halo Allen key ones, cause i didnt wanna any scrotes walking off with my wheels. plus i never ride without a 5mm Allen key, so its not a big issue with removal.
  • ive just put hopes on mine and although they are pricey, they do look Great and have a Lovely Strong feel to them,
    the superstar ones caught my eye but i seem to remember on here a while back mentioned that they had plastic collars on them?? (certainly looks so if you look at the pics of them),
    having wanted hopes for many years and never done it i am glad i did!
    (shimano ones are nice though!)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Hope, on all my bikes---great feel and use brass bushings rather than delrin / plastic so no squashing, loss of long term performance; bit of grease on bushing and they`re super smooth too