what lock for a day out?

stratcat
stratcat Posts: 160
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm about to go out for a days riding on my road bike.
The only thing that approaches luggage is a small saddle pack that is stuffed with a multi tool tube pump etc.
The question is what do you guys do on a day out when you need to eat or go to the toilet. Do you just trust to the gods of cycling and leave your bike or do you lock it up? If you lock it up what do you use? I only have my jersey pockets to put it in so its no good suggesting some hulking great abus kryptonite thingy.

Thanks in advance.
8)

Comments

• redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I've never locked it when I've been out, but always feel that I should. I do have a cable that I made up from some sailing rigging and a small padlock which is light & flexible and will easily fit into a pocket or the saddle bag.

It's not the highest level of security, but I reckon for a quick pitstop it'd be fine.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3509/346 ... d2f9c4.jpg

Bog standard wheels?

Eat the bananas in your jersey pocket and find a bush that can accommodate you and the bike to evacuate said bananas.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Squire_Squire_Retractable_Cable_Bike_Lock/5360040639
    Easily defeated with tools, but better than nothing, doesn't need a key and fits a jersey pocket with room to spare.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,529
    the one careful suggests is fine for 'safe' places, i use a similar one

otherwise you can hang a chunky cable lock off the back of the saddle with a nylon strap*, i do it with this one...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Abus_ ... 360012121/

...it will actually fit the middle pocket of a jersey, ok for short trips, but it'd be annoying there on a long ride

* just make sure you put all the loops of the cable through the strap so that it can't bounce down and get trapped between rim and seat stay causing a puzzling braking effect and a strong smell of melted plastic, yes, this is the voice of experience
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I live in a pretty safe part of the world really, but I didn't leave the bike today as the only places would have meant it being out of sight and so I didn't risk it. I actually ran out of water, but as it was only the last ten miles I could cope.

I like the look of the squire - it would only be to stop someone walking away with my pride and joy.

Its OK weejie54 I didn't need the toilet today, there aren't many bushes up on the fells anyway :lol:
    I'd have to try to hide behind a sheep :shock:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never locked my road bike in 25 years of rides. I only stop at bike cafes, small garages and village shops and don't hang around inside. Never had a problem. Obviously I'd not try it in a city but I'd not spend the weekend riding through the city.