Speedplay zero pedals

Pigeons in flight
Pigeons in flight Posts: 282
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Hello - does anyone know whether the above come with cleats, or do you have to buy them separately. I'm guessing that they do..but you never know. I'm guessing the coffee stop covers are definitely not included??

Everywhere seems to be sold out anyway, so I'm going to have to wait - unless I want orange :?
thanks
Never mistake motion for action
Tweet@gmunrop69
Trainerroad - GMan69

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,587
    they come with cleats

if you are after the chromoly ones try

http://www.5339.co.uk/bike-accessories/ ... pedals.htm

they have non-orange stock

also try...

http://www.shinybikes.com/product.php?productid=18034

if you will need to walk more than about 3-4 steps remember you need to get some cleat covers too, these are *not* included with the pedals
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cheers sungod - useful links too.
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    cleats are but not the very useful cleat covers that keep them from getting damaged - its the only issue with Speedplays IMHO, as the springs in the cleats quickly get full of crap and wear as well as being lethal on some surfaces eg tiled floors. The plastic covers just push on and should really be supplied with them.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Thanks Bigpikle - would you recommend them over Look derived alternatives. I've used spd-sl for years but have started to develop knee twinges of late. Probably not helped by the fact that I recently hit the big 40!
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Thanks Bigpikle - would you recommend them over Look derived alternatives. I've used spd-sl for years but have started to develop knee twinges of late. Probably not helped by the fact that I recently hit the big 40!

I'd suspect that is more likely an issue with the cleat placement than the type of cleat. A proper bike fitting and cleat fitting is likely to be more useful than randomly trying different pedals; at least in the first instance.

Mind, I've only tried SPD SL and Look.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sungod
    knee twinges - front, inside, outside, or back?

might be cleat position, might be saddle position, might be you need footbeds/shims

for knees, one big difference with speedplay zero is that the float is 'free' - there's no spring tension trying to roatate the cleat to a particular position, which is what you get with other pedals, but for most people if the cleat us correctly aligned this shouldn't matter

as rolf f says, consider getting a proper bike fitting done
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I'd second the bike fit or even just find a good fitter that offers a cleat fitting service? My local guy spent quite a long time setting up the position of my cleats although TBH they were spot on already.

I just love the free float design of the Speedplays after using a few cheapo pedals with limited float in years gone by. I have Shimano spd's on my MTB which also work well though.

Good luck getting sorted and if you go Speedplay then just keep the cleats clean and oiled if you ride in wet/mucky conditions eg winter country roads etc.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • BrianTrousers
    BrianTrousers Posts: 218
    I bought some for similar reasons you are considering. I was finding it uncomfortable and frustrating pushing against the sprung float on my Looks. This wasn't a constant problem, just in certain riding positions, hence cleat repositioning wouldn't necessarily have solved it.

I wound the float out completely to start with which was rather unnerving and gave the 'ice-skating' feeling which some people will refer to.

I've now gradually wound the float in to where I'm comfortable and like the non-sprung float which I have.

Whether it's any great benefit to my knees I couldn't really say. They're good pedals although as mentioned above you need to keep on top of the maintenance, make sure you clean and dry lube the springs after every ride.

The other problem I had was that you can't screw in the top plate too tightly as it will trap the spring meaning they won't engage, or worse disengage, correctly. This lead to me losing three of the eight screws as they weren't in tight enough. Solved with Loctite.

Last thing, they're not as easy to engage and clip into as Looks despite what Speedplay will have you believe.

All that said, highly recommended and I'm unlikely to switch back.
  • My knee pain is on the outside of my left knee. I was lugging heavy bags of gravel around a couple of weeks back when landscaping the garden - so I might have torn something and then, mistakenly, concluded it was bike related. I haven't changed my cleat position - so I would be surprised if it was that.

From your comments, Speedplays sound a bit of a pain in the butt tbh! Lubing cleats after every ride would not be my idea of fun. I find my regular spd's on my mtb very forgiving on the knees, so I might swap them over to my road bike and see if my knee improves before swapping back to the spd-sls.

Cheers
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • sungod
    you don't really need to lube after every ride - unless you are doing huge distances or geting a lot of dust or water in them - every couple of weeks is plenty, but even if you do it every day it only takes about 30 seconds, i just keep a bottle of dry lube in the shoe bag

knee pain ideas here... http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm ...but from what you say, maybe just needs some time/rest to recover

having said that, i strained my knee (on the inside, one of the hamstrings) recovered ok but ever since it has become very sensitive to fit, so one bike it'll will be fine, on another i get pain, i'm hoping over time it improves