inner tube blowout

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited May 2010 in Workshop
done my usual commute to work this morniing....14 miles on my giant defy 3 road bike
left my bike as usual in one of the rooms at work.
10 min later one of colleagues heard a bang and went to investigate..back wheel inner tube on my bike had blown! its blew the tyre partially off the rim

the tube has a 8 inch split down the seam...tyre is fine

currently running panracer ribmo's 700 x 25...shop fitted them when i bought the bike..done about 100 miles...tube is a kenda.

pumped the tyres up last night to the max 115 psi

anyone got an idea what went wrong????

cheers

Comments

• milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    Manufacturing defect?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Could be one of a couple of things. If you've recently repaired a puncture, or reinflated the tube from a completely flat state, you could have caused the tube to be pinched on reinstallation. Alternatively the wheel rim might be on its way out and is no longer able to contain the tyre bead under load - check the braking surface, if it has yielded under load it will be slightly dished or concave. There might be a wear indicator on the rim as well.

As an aside, unless you are a moderately heavy guy (like me - 14.5st) then you don't really need to run those sort of pressures in your tyres.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    mcowan77 wrote:
    currently running panracer ribmo's 700 x 25...shop fitted them when i bought the bike..done about 100 miles

If it's a new bike the rims won't have worn, so than leaves the tube getting caught between the tyre bead and the rim when it was fitted.
    Ideally you should go round the tyre (both sides) checking once there's 15 psi or so in the tyre, but people often don't bother.
  • mcowan77
    its a new bike, so rim shouldnt be worn....

im about 14-15 st (6ft 2).....i may have inflated the tyre to 120 psi, would this have been the problem?

would the change of temp from outside to inside ( the room is quite warm) cause it to blow?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    mcowan77 wrote:
    its a new bike, so rim shouldnt be worn....

im about 14-15 st (6ft 2).....i may have inflated the tyre to 120 psi, would this have been the problem?

would the change of temp from outside to inside ( the room is quite warm) cause it to blow?

Due to your weight you'll have to run these higher pressures, in any case these tyres should be able to handle it.

You'd have to generate a pretty high temperature difference to get it to blow out, with the ambient temperatures we're having at the moment I think it's pretty unlikely.

I agree with the other posters, it sounds like the tube's been pinched between the bead and the tyre. I've had this once before, now I inflate to a low pressure and go round the tyre checking the tube is properly within the tyre and the tyre is properly seated on the rim before inflating fully. It's not happened again.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mcowan77
    cheers for the advice

lbs fitted the tyres aswell!!!!!