Recommend a track/workshop pump for me

Burghley
Burghley Posts: 412
edited June 2010 in Workshop
Hi

As my second Blackburn track pump is starting to lose it's grip on the valve (and it was a replacement for the first with exactly the same problem) I need to buy a reliable replacement.

It needs to accommodate both Schrader and Presta valves, and above all it needs to be well built and durable.

What do you recommend, and why?

Rgds

Pete
www.bikesetup.co.uk
miles more cycling comfort

Comments

• mf5
    mf5 Posts: 207
    Joe blow, had mine for years no problems
  • taz3611
    taz3611 Posts: 172
    Silca. Professional quality. Good prices. Last for years. Nuff said.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    This thing is going okay after some pretty serious professional use:

topeak-TJB-ACE-med.jpg

I've also had a silca pista for almost a decade. The only thing to wear out was the rubber washer in the valve head. Easily replaceable. And I still prefer the silca to the topeak. :wink:
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    ive been using a Topeak Joe Blow Sport that i got from halfords for about 2 years now, i use it a lot as tyres never hold pressure for more than a few days, the pump itself works fine and is just as good now as when it was new
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    just ordered this http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... drive.html
    for exactly the same reason. I don't know if it will be any good but I like their other stuff
  • +1 for the Joe Blow Sport. All the bike shops seen to use them too.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    +another

Joe Blow with the metal barrel (mine's yellow). Have heard the plastic barrelled ones are not as good.

Alternatively, can you not get replacement valve washers for the Blackburn?
  • Burghley
    Burghley Posts: 412
    Hi All

Many thanks for all the useful comments/suggestions.

Yes, I can get a(nother) replacement valve unit, but I am not sure it will last any longer than the others. So, it's time for a change.

I will probably get a Joe Blow, as they are obviously well made and durable as well as being widely available.

Rgds

Pete
    www.bikesetup.co.uk
    miles more cycling comfort