Rear wheel? Waaay to much choice help!

tegwin
tegwin Posts: 78
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
I have not had to buy any major bike components for years... so im a bit out of touch with whats "good"....

Have a 2004 enduro s-works which gets ridden up hills and then spanked back down again.... So excess weight is not helpful..

I need a new rear wheel.... deffinately want a hope pro2 hub... but what rim is going to be strong enough to withstand enduro all-mountain style riding without being far far to heavy?... Oh.. and I run 2.2 or 2.3 tyres :)

The front I bought some time ago is a hope pro2 with Mavic xc717 rim. Still perfectly true after all the abuse.... but im not sure how well that rim would fare at the back where most of the abuse is!

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Pro2 on XC717 as you have will be adequate for what you oneed it for...I have 317's on Pro2's on my Marin and they get loads of abuse...plus you have a matching set...try Dave Hinde..he will build one for £167 using ACI spokes which are the strongest available.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Stans flow seems to be the more abuse proof rim of choice on the forum these days, although if your 717s are surviving you may not need it. I think you can get some pretty good deals on stans/hope combos at the moment as well.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • tegwin
    tegwin Posts: 78
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Pro2 on XC717 as you have will be adequate for what you oneed it for...I have 317's on Pro2's on my Marin and they get loads of abuse...plus you have a matching set...try Dave Hinde..he will build one for £167 using ACI spokes which are the strongest available.

Thanks for the replies. Where would I find dave?
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    tegwin wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Where would I find dave?

A quick google will tell you all you need to know about him. Think the word is AVOID!
    Vis Unita Fortior