Also.. best hydraulic discs at the moment?

CoveChris
CoveChris Posts: 8
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
As well being due a fork replacement (other thread), I've decided I could do with new brakes too. Back when I started building up my bike (2005) it was all about the Hope Mono Minis - therefore that's what I've got. It's really the front one I'd like to replace due to chronic problems, although if it's cheaper to buy a new shiny new front/rear pair together...

I've seen Avid Elixirs mentioned in a lot of threads, other than that I'm too out of touch with current products to know what's good!

Bike - Cove Handjob hardtail, mainly casual XC riding. Budget - £100ish per brake (about what the mono minis were)

Cheers,

Chris.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Go with the Elixirs....Merlin have a set of R's for £160 (FT & RR) and the CR's for £199....my mate has just put the CR's on his EX8 and raves about them....(they look great too)....his old Juicy 5's were good but these are way better..great modulation and control plus the contact adjustment is a bonus plus the top load...this comes in handy on a winters day....I am also considering them to replace my juicy carbons...I don't think there is a better performing brake for the money at the moment
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • tegwin
    tegwin Posts: 78
    For me Hope are still up there with the best of the best...

I have a pair of Hope Mono M4s with floating disks from the Mono M6.... 203mm at the front and 180mm at the back.... Totally amazing, and bullet proof! No nonsense... and its a British product!
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Formula
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Hope's look the biz but don't perform as well as Avids....I nave run both and the Hope squeal more than a pig in the wet..formula's are worth a shout but still would choose avids anyday
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • CoveChris
    Well, after a bit more reading around to make sure I've just ordered the Avid Elixir R 185/160 front/rear set from merlin! ;) From what i've read they seem to be good value for money. I always liked my Hopes, although the new ones seem more expensive than they used to be. Looking forward to trying my first Avids!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends what you mean by "best". If you mean the most stopping power, then I think the undisputed champion is still the Shimano Saint.
  • CoveChris
    I guess by 'best' I meant the brakes that everyone's talking about for best overall performance at a decent price for general XC riding, which last time I bought brakes was Hope mono minis - nearly everyone I knew back then had them apart from DH riders. Anyway got some Avids ordered now so will see how they perform in a few days time!