Waterproof stowable

Lucky Luke
Lucky Luke Posts: 402
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Can anyone recommend me a waterproof for using on the bike which will double up as a walking waterproof ? For suumeer use only .Something that won't take up too much room in a rucksack when walking and I can stuff in my back pocket in my jersey when out on the bike. Thinking PacLite . Anything particular ones spring to mind ?
Luke

Comments

• Rapha Stowaway??
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    Heard they are very good but dear. Is that correct? I've nver seen one in any of my local bike shops . I know you can get them mail order but a bit worried about sizing so would like to try it on preferabley. Do you happen to know how much they are?
    Luke
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    get yourself to Aldi - they're about a fiver, I think. I've had mine about a year now and it does everything I need it to - it keeps the wind and rain off, and it stuffs into a jersey pocket. A little bit cheaper than Rapha too.....
  • The Stowaway is £165! :shock:

Looks damn good though!!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Lucky Luke wrote:
    Can anyone recommend me a waterproof for using on the bike which will double up as a walking waterproof ? For suumeer use only .Something that won't take up too much room in a rucksack when walking and I can stuff in my back pocket in my jersey when out on the bike. Thinking PacLite . Anything particular ones spring to mind ?

montane featherlight velo about £35
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    softlad wrote:
    get yourself to Aldi - they're about a fiver, I think. I've had mine about a year now and it does everything I need it to - it keeps the wind and rain off, and it stuffs into a jersey pocket. A little bit cheaper than Rapha too.....

+1

I have one I got for about 7 quid from Decathlon. Keeps the wind and rain out a treat.

Sweat like I don't know what when it's hot though but it is grand.

I also have a Rapha Stowaway. It is rather magnificent and breathable but I would say it is more shower resistant than waterproof.
  • CamR
    CamR Posts: 83
    Montane do a coupe of jackets that are small enough to stowaway on the bike and usable on the hill.

Cam
  • NapoleonD wrote:

I also have a Rapha Stowaway. It is rather magnificent and breathable but I would say it is more shower resistant than waterproof.

Really? I was almost pressing the order button. The review in Junes Cycling Plus said that the water resistance was for Heavy Rain, and it got Editors Choice. :?
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

Really? I was almost pressing the order button. The review in Junes Cycling Plus said that the water resistance was for Heavy Rain, and it got Editors Choice. :?

Indeed. Resistance, not Proofiness...

It is one of my fave pieces of cycle clothing.

After an hour or so of heavy rain it starts to let a bit in, but if you get a non-breathable, fully waterproof one, you sweat so much inside it you get far wetter!!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

After an hour or so of heavy rain it starts to let a bit in, but if you get a non-breathable, fully waterproof one, you sweat so much inside it you get far wetter!!

Ok, that makes sense!! Would you say it was worth the price tag?? And do you know what the difference between the current one and the 09 one is?? Thanks
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Ok, that makes sense!! Would you say it was worth the price tag?? And do you know what the difference between the current one and the 09 one is?? Thanks

I would suggest just the colours! Mine is an orange 09 one.

It's a lot of money but I really do like it. For me it was worth it as I get pleasure from using it.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    edited May 2010
    Ultra packable water resistant (but more breathable) vs bulkier water proof (but less breathable) vs breathable soft shells is one that seems to pop up here frequently.

I've a Montane Velo Featherlite, which looks good, packs down to the size of an apple, and hangs from my seat bag, so is always there when I need it. But, in my experience, it's pretty hopeless in the rain :roll: . So much so that I wonder whether people giving it 5 stars in various online reviews are using the same product as me...

When it's colder, I go down the wind-proof shower-proof soft shell route, as that generally seems a better compromise to me for the bulk of conditions encountered. My Gore Oxygen SO has been a revelation, replacing a mixture of jersey/long-sleeved base-layers/arm-warmers/ gilet with one single item that really does the business.

Now it's warmer, the soft shell is out, and it's back to riding in a short sleeve jersey, so I'd be relying on my Montane Velo in a downpour. For a shortish shower it'd be half acceptable (if I could even be bothered putting it on), but if I was on a long ride miles from home, e.g. in an event say, and it p*ssed it down all day, I'd be soaked to my bones and freezing.

So, I've wondered...
    (1) whether any of the Paclite stowables really are stowable (such that you'd carry it on every ride without thinking about it - as I do currently with the Montane)?
    and...
    (2) whether they can handle the sweat you'd pump out if you were riding pretty hard on hilly terrain in the p*ssing rain? I'm guessing not...

Anyone experience with something like the Paclite Gore Oxygen jacket (nb not the oxygen SO soft shell) or comparable. Cheers.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    truth is - if it's raining, you're better off getting wet and keeping on riding. The only time I ever use my rain mac is if I ever need to stop.
  • aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    Depends how far your going softlad and how heavy the rain is. For a shortish ride home I agree with you just keep going. If you still have 60 or 100 miles to go then a waterproof would be worthwhile. You also need to think about flapping. I got hacked off with my Montane featherweight jacket at the weekend as it flapped about in the wind too much and it was soaked through after a few miles in heavy rain. On the plus side it dried out pretty quickly. I've just ordered an Assos Climajet jacket as it packs down well is tight fitting (if you get the right size) so shouldnt flap and I've been told it's pretty good on the water resistant front. I almost went for the Rapha Rainjacket but I wasnt sure how well it packs down. It does look really nice though. The assos jacket is only good for the bike the Rapha Rainjacket would probably be handy for lots of purposes as long as you have a waterproof cap.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I would suggest just the colours! Mine is an orange 09 one.

It's a lot of money but I really do like it. For me it was worth it as I get pleasure from using it.

I have the same '09 orange one.
    i love it but after many washes it is now only heavy rain proof for about 10 minutes. On the other hand, in my previous fully water proof jackets I would be just as wet from sweat in the same 10 minutes. For keeping out the wind and spits & spots it is great as it breathes very well.
    For cycling i love it but for walking I use something heavier. Less effort, less sweat.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    You can re-waterproof jackets with a spray treatment, there is also specific wash stuff that doesn't remove waterproofness. Blacks sell both I believe...
  • daviesee
    markmod wrote:
    You can re-waterproof jackets with a spray treatment, there is also specific wash stuff that doesn't remove waterproofness. Blacks sell both I believe...

Thanks for the help.

I believe that I have been washing it properly, never using hot temps or conditioner etc.
    I also believe that adding spray treatments blocks up the breathability.

Somebody want to prove me wrong? Please? :o
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    edited May 2010
    I have not used it myself but checkout nikwax http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/index.php or Grangers http://www.grangers.co.uk/index.cfm?Country=en

As I said I have not used either of them before, but as you said you have washed your stowaway so many times it has lost it waterproofness?

I too would be interested on users of the above products... Do they work?

I have heard you should never wash in biological powder to wash a waterproof.(and as you say never use fabric softener)

I would always follow manufacturers instructions on washing (as I'm sure you have done) wonder what Rapha recommend to return the 'droplet forming' waterproofing on an older garment (buy a new one perhaps :) !)

I do like the look of the stowaway, my finger is hovering over the buy button, only I'm not so keen on the colours, whilst grey and black look cool, I am very wary of the stealth look due to visibility in the rain! Whilst the pink is better, my misses reckons I don't carry off pink well, it clashes with my pink bald head! Now if they did an orange still or a bright red like the ladies version that has just come out I would 'buy now'
  • rdt
    I got hacked off with my Montane featherweight jacket at the weekend as it flapped about in the wind too much and it was soaked through after a few miles in heavy rain.

Great, aren't they? :roll:

Not all bad though - mine's a lovely bright blue colour :D
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    rdt wrote:
    I got hacked off with my Montane featherweight jacket at the weekend as it flapped about in the wind too much and it was soaked through after a few miles in heavy rain.

Great, aren't they? :roll:

Not all bad though - mine's a lovely bright blue colour :D
    for the first time I've seen 2 people agree with me on the Montane Featherlight - as useful as tissue paper in the rain which makes it, err..., useless.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Spent a long time researching a lightweight waterproof and in the end - mainly on the back of the C+ review I decided I would save for the Rapha Stowaway.

Browsing Ebay the other week and up pops a new Rapha stowaway in grey in my size and on a BiN for £105. So I took a punt. Arrived two days later - all in the right packaging. I was stuttering at the £165 price but prepared to pay it as I am a believer in that you get what you pay for (mostly). At £105 I am delighted.

Worn twice so far and caught in rain and hailstones. Totally waterproof with the water sitting on the jacket surface in little beads and within 5 minutes of the rain stopping the jacket surface was dry again. Breathable with no sign of clamminess and today I wore it when it started out cold (for its windproof properties) and when the sun came out I did not overheat or start to sweat in it either. Totally remarkable and I have to say the best bit of sport clothing I have ever come across.

Friend went for an Endura showerproof at £50 and it proved totally useless in the rain - light shower never mind heavier stuff. He also has a montane which is waterproof but he sweats like a dog in it - boil in the bag is how he describes it. He first rubbished the price of the Rapha but now is going to get his own as a lightweight water/wind proof.

I recommend it.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    I've just bought the Rain Jacket, yet to be tested. It just packs down enough to get it into the pocket. I'll come back after a downpour.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • daviesee
    markmod wrote:
    I would always follow manufacturers instructions on washing (as I'm sure you have done) wonder what Rapha recommend to return the 'droplet forming' waterproofing on an older garment (buy a new one perhaps :) !)

I wondered the same and sent an e-mail yesterday, forgetting it was a holiday.

Just received a reply saying that a cool iron will rejuvinate the water proofness. :P

And to think I was avoiding the iron for fear of doing the opposite :oops:

I will get back later after it rains............
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    If you are seriously interested in the Rapha stowaway, also check out their rain jacket.

I have owned both as I needed change of sizing and whist the stowaway really does fold down to a tiny size for storeage, I found the rain jacket more comfortable to wear. It has a lining which helps wicking and I found it less sweat-inducing as a result and less clingy to the arms. It also folds down plenty small enough to stuff into a jersey pocket.

Both lovely items though, you cannot go wrong if you have the budget.
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:
    markmod wrote:

I wondered the same and sent an e-mail yesterday, forgetting it was a holiday.

Just received a reply saying that a cool iron will rejuvinate the water proofness. :P

And to think I was avoiding the iron for fear of doing the opposite :oops:

I will get back later after it rains............

It rained :cry:

Well, the Stowaway definetly improved after an ironing.
    Instead of being wet after 10 minutes there was only beading, but a bit of damp in some areas. I imagine that those areas were ones I didn't iron properly. It's a tricky job with shaped panels etc.
    10-20 minutes in I felt a little damp and after 1/2 hour I may as well be wearing a long sleeved jersey.

I will persevere witht he ironing but so far I am not optimistic that it will get back to the 1 hour + that it was when new. If it doesn't come back I will be forced into looking at the rain jacket, or Assos, or Castelli. I won't go back to "boil in the bag".
    Great as a windproof or light showers but I live in Scotland :twisted:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    ALaPlage wrote:
    Spent a long time researching a lightweight waterproof and in the end - mainly on the back of the C+ review I decided I would save for the Rapha Stowaway.

Browsing Ebay the other week and up pops a new Rapha stowaway in grey in my size and on a BiN for £105. So I took a punt. Arrived two days later - all in the right packaging. I was stuttering at the £165 price but prepared to pay it as I am a believer in that you get what you pay for (mostly). At £105 I am delighted.

Worn twice so far and caught in rain and hailstones. Totally waterproof with the water sitting on the jacket surface in little beads and within 5 minutes of the rain stopping the jacket surface was dry again. Breathable with no sign of clamminess and today I wore it when it started out cold (for its windproof properties) and when the sun came out I did not overheat or start to sweat in it either. Totally remarkable and I have to say the best bit of sport clothing I have ever come across.

Friend went for an Endura showerproof at £50 and it proved totally useless in the rain - light shower never mind heavier stuff. He also has a montane which is waterproof but he sweats like a dog in it - boil in the bag is how he describes it. He first rubbished the price of the Rapha but now is going to get his own as a lightweight water/wind proof.

I recommend it.

Glad it arrived! I was hugely sceptical of that ebay listing (the seller had a lot of as new kit) and zero feedback. But everyone has to start somewhere. Will keep an eye on those listings now!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jobless
    jobless Posts: 29
    Just a point on the rain jacket. I have one. Bought it in November and it worked brilliantly for the first few rides. then it started to wet-out quicker and quicker. I followed the instructions inside and in January contacted Rapha about re-proofing. they suggested the iron. Indeed this works ok, but not great. I still got wet after 10 minutes. So i kept contacting them, they kept saying "its becuse of what you are wearing underneath" or "its not clean enough". So I did as instructed and washed it after every few rides to keep it "as clean as possible" as instructed and ironed it each time. it just got worse.

In the end, in april after 4 months of Rapha telling me to wash it and not re-proof it and iron it and keep it clean, i sent it back. they tested it for a month, then sent it back saying "we have re-proofed it wth NikWax, please don't wash it too often as this impairs the effectiveness of the coating" or words to that effect.

So in short, when I asked at the end of january if I need to re-proof it like my snowboard jacket and they said "no" what they actually meant was "yes, and don't wash it too often either".

So those that have this problem with either jacket i suggest you save yourselves 4 months of arguing and get some NikWax, or a cheaper jacket.
  • daviesee
    jobless wrote:
    So those that have this problem with either jacket i suggest you save yourselves 4 months of arguing and get some NikWax, or a cheaper jacket.

So, it's Nikwax. Then Assos or Castelli then........................

Thanks for saving me the time.
  • rdt
    Thanks for that, jobless. Sounds a similar tale to my Montane Featherlite, where the rain or the washing machine washes off the proofing, and repeated Nikwax washes are required.

Not what I'm after, and not the sort of performance I'd be paying the big bucks for.