Half radial rear wheel

csp
csp Posts: 777
edited June 2010 in Workshop
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times, but I have read just as many contradictory answers. Which is the correct way, radial lacing on drive side or non-drive side?

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    non-drive side makes more sense....
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    http://spokeanwheel.110mb.com/lacingsr.htm#hr
    A properly built half radial rear wheel will be radially laced on the drive side. It would also be best to lace the drive side so the spoke heads are on the inside of the flange.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    schweiz wrote:
    http://spokeanwheel.110mb.com/lacingsr.htm#hr
    A properly built half radial rear wheel will be radially laced on the drive side. It would also be best to lace the drive side so the spoke heads are on the inside of the flange.

I have read that before, and I have read Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding article and he claims that it should be on the non-drive side.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    hmmm, Sheldon is completely contradictory to the link I posted. And having done some thinking over lunchtime, the spokeandwheel site contradicts itself between the half radial section and the 2x/3x lacing section below it where it says
    A mixed lacing pattern I discovered that works very well for balancing rear wheel lateral strengths is the 2-cross/3-cross lacing. This pattern uses 2-cross lacing on the non drive side and 3-cross lacing on the drive side. The non drive side spokes end up being shorter than the drive side spokes, a condition that causes theoretical force vector triangles that counteracts the dish offset of the wheel. This theoretical triangle is comprised of the real force vectors of the spokes and a theoretical force vector across the hub.

In that example, the shorter (2x) spokes are NDS, so following this logic if you were to build a half radial/2x the radial should be NDS.

I've built a 3x/2x DS/NDS wheel and it's been fine but never tried half radial so have no practical experience.

Maybe the wheelbuilding guru that is Roger Musson can comment on this? I know he posts on here sometimes.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Well my Mavic Aksium is radial on the non drive side yet my Mavic Ksyrium is radial on the drive side!

Kind of suggests it doesn't really matter (so long as it's not both!)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Non drive side.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i think the theory for drive side radial is to use the less tensioned spokes on the non drive side to do the driving force thus the higher tensioned dish side doesnt have additional strain. the drive is transmitted equally to both hub flanges so the fact the chain is on the radial side doesnt really matter. also the dished side benefits from greated latter stifness being radial which is lower that side.