Whats the power difference?

Thanks

Chris
GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the model.

A good cable disc is better than a poor hydraulic.

What is your budget?
  • Well the bike i'm hoping to buy comes with mechanicals on but i was wondering if it was worth changing them on purchase.
    The bike comes with Avid BB-5 disc.
    GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!
  • supersonic
    The avids are good. See how you get on with them.
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    Have ridden with both, I found the mechanical discs good when new but mine needed new cables every 6 months or so, my hydros need bleeding every 12 months.

They both have the same power e.g they will both lock the wheel but I think the Hydros are more modular giving a better feel.

It also takes less effort to stop with hydros, you can lock a wheel with one finger using hydros but takes three to lock a cable.

From my experiance the hydros are better, depends how deep your pockets are??
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I had a BB7 on my DMR and it was 1 finger power- no problem!

I would of got a pair when I built the SS but they've gone in price- £55 each- just for calipers and discs is silly really.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Got both. Avid BB7 and El Caminos.

Both work well, mechs a bit heavier.

Neither too much trouble.
  • ive only ever had cheap of both, and my cheap cables were, well i cant really say without offending the world, but suffice too say, they were not good. ive got tektro aigura comps (i think thats how they are spelt) and they are really good, and i guess they fall under the cheap catgegory at about 50 each

so in summary, cheap hydros better than cheap cables, :D
  • If you're planning on doing much descending get hydros or you will die from arm pump.
  • supersonic
    But your brakes won't pump out from oil expansion... :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    I did find years and years ago with a truly terrible set of cables discs that they would overheat quite drastically leading to no brakes at all though. When they overheated, the leer would pull back right to the bar with no effect :shock:
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    supersonic wrote:
    When they overheated, the lever would pull back right to the bar with no effect :shock:

That happens with road bikes too (without the heat) and it's due to crappy cable housing. IMHO there's nothing intrinsically 'special' about hydraulic brakes. I have seen them fail too! My friend was riding one of my personal bikes here in Tenerife & left without brakes on a DH section after 1) the front tyre wore through the front hydraulic hose, then within one hundred metres or so 2) the rear pads went. So we had to lend him one of my brakes and both limped home.

I should add that after that incident I check the condition of my brakes more often.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133

I should add that after that incident I check the condition of my brakes more often.

Just to go off-topic for a second, but do you need to remove the wheel and the pads to check condition, or can you gauge it from just looking through the caliper?
  • Anonymous
    synchronicity
    hehe, thanks for fixing my typo in the quote!
    It must bahe been heat related issues (somehow) on the really really poor cable discs I had. It only happened when they were hot, and as soon as they'd cool down again they were ok.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i popped a hope braided hose once...
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I've had Tektro IO mechanical discs and done LOTS of miles on them.

They work really well when adjusted properly, but they need a fair amount very careful adjustment to work properly and are worse than useless when badly adjusted.

I've gone back to V brakes, less power but less hassle too.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    synchronicity
    hehe, thanks for fixing my typo in the quote!
    It must have been heat related issues (somehow) on the really really poor cable discs I had.

Man you type too fast. And I thought my spelling had gone to sh¡t. :lol:
    Don't you just love that new google feature that auto-corrects spelling?
    Half the time I mis-spell stuff now. :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ive only ever had cheap of both, and my cheap cables were, well i cant really say without offending the world, but suffice too say, they were not good. ive got tektro aigura comps (i think thats how they are spelt) and they are really good, and i guess they fall under the cheap catgegory at about 50 each

To be fair, the Auriga Comps are outrageously good for the money. Compare with Juicy 3s and you find cables come out better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Juicy 3s are great. Not had a problem with them.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    oh dear. not the 'avid juicy are crap'/'avid juicy are good' marmite argument again :roll:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    avid juicy are crao.

:wink:
    no really, i hated mine. The Clarks SX skeletals i have noe are marvelouse though, and they arnt expensive. Iv also had Tektro Auriga comps, and still do i love them, wonderfull feel, great power, and easy to maintain.. good brakes.

the clarks feel diferent, like "proper" expensive brakes, a lot like hope techs, and they have loads of adjustment... really light too and lots of power once set up (they are a fiddle to set up right)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    juicy's are good. i'm not saying they're the best, but there decent brakes and they work. imo/ime they look good, are light, have enough power, even with 160mm rotors and sintered pads, are reliable, aren't too hard to align.
  • joshtp
    juicy's are good. i'm not saying they're the best, but there decent brakes and they work. imo/ime they look good, are light, have enough power, even with 160mm rotors and sintered pads, are reliable, aren't too hard to align.

funny.. cuz in my experiance they are:

not reliable, not much power, not that light, not very good looking, need big rotors and the pads dont last well, they are a fiddle to bleed, and have a weird, and i think unplesant feel.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • supersonic
    The thing is you an take 10 sets of the same brake and many of them will feel different. Jucies seem to be more variable than most hence some good good sets, others bad sets.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

funny.. cuz in my experiance they are:

not reliable, not much power, not that light, not very good looking, need big rotors and the pads dont last well, they are a fiddle to bleed, and have a weird, and i think unplesant feel.

Well who to believe? :wink:

I've got J7s, preferred the feel of the Formulas and Elixirs I've tried though. But they have enough power for me, I've put a 180mm rotor on front to reduce overheating. They've worked absolutely fine since an initial setup issue, and bleeding is easy if you've got the kit.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • joshtp
    supersonic wrote:
    The thing is you an take 10 sets of the same brake and many of them will feel different. Jucies seem to be more variable than most hence some good good sets, others bad sets.
    this is true i think, esp with cheaper brakes, high end stuff is often made to higher tolerences and with better materials, cheaper kit is a bit more variable.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    yep! :lol:
  • i replaced my aiguras today with elixir R's and even in the bedding in i can feel a difference. with my tektro is defiantely felt much more on/off, where as there seems to be alot more modulation on these ones :D
    not sure if they are worth abit over twice the price, but hey hoes, lovely none the less :)
  • red eye
    red eye Posts: 264
    I liked my juciey 7s well until some tw@t stole them off my bike in a busy city center

i got elixir r now wich work better then the jucys but miss the bite adjust

i got both cheep from merlin :D