Removing crank arms

montevideoguy
montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys,
Starting to get properly pissed off. Trying to remove my cranks to get at my BB but when I screw in my crank puller and turn the arm till it tightens nothing happens and it stays solidly on. Scared to put too much pressure in case I balls up the threads. Does anyone have any suggestions? Really don't want to take it to lbs as looking at tutorial vids it looks like a piece of piss to do.

It's a square taper BB and it's a Park Tool crank puller CCP-22 (double checked on site to make sure it's right tool)
Formally known as Coatbridgeguy

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sometimes they take a colossal pull to get them off. Many a time I have thought something must give, but 99% of the time it comes off. Only once as it pulled the threads out and I have done this loads of times.

Give it some welly lol. Make sure the first part is screwed in tight on the arm, and that the inner bit isn't actually bottoming on the outer.
  • montevideoguy
    Right I've tried but seems to be making a circle in the square hole lol. Can't seem to pull it any tighter :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do you have the correct end on?

and yes it can take a LOT of force.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    Hmmm. Try heating it gently first. Boiling water on it can work.
  • willing
    willing Posts: 61
    The first time I didi this,I had an extra magnetic piece on the end of the puller without realising :lol: . I thought it seemed to be a bit toooo solid. :)
    Nig.
  • montevideoguy
    Having lunch just now but will take pics of what I'm using and what I'm sticking it into (oo err Mrs).
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    As said above, make sure you're using the correct adaptor on your crank puller.

If you really are worried about it, spray a bit of WD40 in there, put plenty pressure on it with the crank extractor, and leave it for 10 minutes - while you get a brew - and try again.

Or like Sonic said, get some heat in there. If it's really not moving, take it to the LBS - and they'll do exactly the same thing.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    4652494973_18a82dd1e1.jpg

looks like you are missing the end of the tool.

should look like

spr_CCP_22_69_2008114_92027.jpg

looks like the end has fallen off

spr_CCP_22_661_2008114_10271.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • willing
    now we're on the subject of crank removers, can anyone tell me what the extra piece is on the tool I have. It was on the end,held on by magnetism. Only when I removed it was I able to get the crank off my Vulcan.

crankog.jpg

Nig.
  • supersonic
    For hollow axles ie Octalink and ISIS.
  • willing
    Thankyou Supersonic.

Nig. 8)
  • montevideoguy
    Thanks chaps. Was the wee bit that made the difference (damn thing fell off when I took it out packaging and never noticed).

Now I'm removing the BB and got me a new problem. I have managed to unscrew the plastic screw in part but the other side seems welded on. Double checked to make sure I was going the right direction. Any ideas on this?
  • supersonic
    Again lots of force lol. Try some penetration fluid in from the other side.
  • montevideoguy
    lol the removal tool thingy falls out far too often when I apply the force of a dozen incredible hulks. I hope bike maintenance gets easier after this! hahaha
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The metal side of the BB can require substantial torque to undo. Try a massive extension bar, and tap it with a mallet (in the right direction of course!)
  • montevideoguy
    Thanks. Gonna chill out and then go at it again later. If that fails then it's offto lbs to get shafted lol

Kudos to everyone who has contributed
  • Anonymous
    Out of interest, it took a 4 foot extension and a hell of a lot of bodyweight to remove my last cartridge style BB.
    That's why it's always worth paying extra for very good quality BB sockets, the splies can just give on cheaper ones.
  • Anonymous
    Oh, and stick some copperslip on the threads when replacing it, to prevent bimetal corrosion making things even worse.
  • rottitera02
    rottitera02 Posts: 863
    Ihad a similar problem with the old square taper cranks that i replaced......i couldn't get em off and in the end the internal thread of the pedal arms started stripping.......even with the correct tool......

I ended up getting a puller with slim feet to fit between the back of the pedal and the bb.....this is what i got and it only cost me a tenner, did the job in 30 secs easy......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-AK46080- ... 91&sr=1-23
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    If your BB tool has a hole in it (ie like this CLICK) then use a suitible bolt and a large washer or two to bolt the tool tight into the BB. Then you only have to concentrate on turning the tool and not holding it in tight.

Has helped me a few times so may help?
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    I ended up getting a puller with slim feet to fit between the back of the pedal and the bb.....this is what i got and it only cost me a tenner, did the job in 30 secs easy......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-AK46080- ... 91&sr=1-23

That's the sort of tool you'd use to get the flywheel off of an engine. Not really what it's designed for, but if it works for you then top marks for ingenuity :)
  • montevideoguy
    Just a wee update. Tried all above tips but no joy so booked bike into lbs to get BB removed.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions though :D