Cube Reaction frame better than Cube team ltd frame?

Big dave 3
Big dave 3 Posts: 304
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a Cube team Ltd with various upgrades. The main things remaining worth changing to lighten the weight would be the fork or the frame.

Is it worth me obtaining a Cube Reaction frame & transferring all the bits from my team ltd onto it?

Would I notice the difference between the Cube team & reaction frame? Im under the impression that it should be lighter & siffer?

The frame in question is a Cube Reaction 2009 alu frame while my current frame is a Team Ltd alu frame.
/

Marin Team HT (customiosed commuter)

Boardman Team HT (customised commuter)

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The reaction has different geometry, a steeper head & seat angle compared to the Ltd Team, it's more of a full on race bike than a XC/trail bike

It should be lighter as it's triple butted, not sure if it will be stiffer though

If you have the std spec Ltd Team you could shed weight from that & it would probably be cheaper than buying a new frame, eg new forks, or new wheels, the Deore cassette weighs a fair bit, a SLX ot XT sheds a bit of weight, you could upgrade the finishing kit to shed weight too
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Big dave 3
    I have already put new wheels (Hope pro 2 hubs with mavic rims), Ritchey carbon bars, XT cassette, xt crankset, XTR shifters, lightened inner tubes, lighter rotors.

Can you explain what you mean by the head & seat angle? WIll my bum be more in the air & my head down?

:)
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Head and seat angle ie geometry. Steeper head angles promote faster handling.

The Reaction frame is lighter, the Ltd being a rather portly 1850g just for a small. The Reaction is 1450g so you stand to lose nearly a pound.
  • Big dave 3
    Would I notice this pound difference in the bike's weight?

OK I looked up seat & head angle & understand a bit more now. WOuld this steeper seat & head angle be advantageous in XC riding (with some road riding too) of 15-25 miles ?
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The angles are personal preference really.

A pound may be noticeable over a long run, or on short sharp climbs.

But are other frames available - how much you seen the cube for?
  • Big dave 3
    £250 but I was considering making a lower offer.

Ideally I'd love A Scott scale carbon frame but they are going for about £600 ish & I do not believe that they are that much lighter than the Reaction frame.
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro