Brake dilemas

Royston___
Royston___ Posts: 14
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a Avid BB-7 (front) with an adaptor for a 185mm rotor and a shimano centrelock hub

shimano don't do a 185mm centrelock rotor (i can't seem to find one anyway..)

Can I use a 180mm rotor with the 185 brake? I think the answer is probably no.. but 5mm isn't much?

I've seen the adaptors which go from centrelock to 6-bolt, so I could get one of those and a 185mm 6-bolt rotor
Or I could buy a different adaptor for a 180mm rotor (I wouldn't actually have a clue what one to buy..) and a 180 centrelock rotor

Which of the two options is going to hold up best? Pretty sure it's gunna end up costing the same amount so that's not really a problem

Forks are on-one cromo rigids and I'll be using the bike for traill/xc stuff if that makes a difference

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No, it has to match.

Avid do centrelock rotors in 185mm but are stupidly expensive. I'd get the new adaptor then. What fork and brake mount do you have?

If standard IS then you need a front IS fork to PM caliper for a 180 rotor. Have a look on crc.
  • Royston___
    Right I've had a look at buying a 180mm adaptor and it seems that Avid don't make one (unless I'm blind)

I could only find the 160mm adaptors in post mount to IS mount. No mention of what the on-one forks are on the website so I'm really not sure if that's the one I need.

If that was the one I need, I would buy that adaptor and a 160centrelock rotor

So what I'm asking is if anyone knows if http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20304 this is correct adaptor for a BB-7 and a on-one cromo fork?

Thanks again

EDIT: disregard most of this post, didn't realise Supersonic had replied.
  • Royston___
    Google tells me the on-one forks are IS mount so that means I need a IS to post 160 adaptor and a 160rotor right?

Sorry about all the daft questions haha.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50099 another edit
    I think that's what I need? I'm about to order one so it better be
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, or an IS fork to Post mount caliper for 180mm if you want a larger disc.
  • Royston___
    Fantastic
    For the riding I'm going to be doing I don't think the extra power is needed to be honest so I'll stick with the 160

Thanks for the help