Support for Etape Caledonia

Macdpb
Macdpb Posts: 6
I'm not much of a cyclist myself but was one of the people who turned out on Sunday morning - up at the Loch Tummel Inn in StrathTummel (almost 10 miles into the bike ride) to support you guys.

Its the first time that I have watched the race and I thought it was fantastic - in fact I think that we are very privileged that we have this event in our area.

On behalf of many of us, I am somewhat saddened by the reaction of the very few who feel they have to whinge and complain about this event and even in some cases behave like total morons.

From our perspective, the cyclists were uinfailingly courteous in acknowledging our support and although we spent about 3 seconds in your company (each of you) it was a real pleasure andd in fact, two cyclists even put a hand out for us to slap back - almost all smiled and nodded a head. It was great and I hope you had a great paerty when you all got back to Pitlochry.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    On behalf of myself and I imagine every cyclist that did the event can I personally thank you, and everyone else who gaves us such wonderful support. It was much appreciated.
    I have sent an e-mail to the Perthshire Advertiser, as I think others have done, to show how pleased I was with the whole event and the support from the locals. Hopefully some positive publicity could make this into a world class event that everyone could, and should, be proud of.

Cheers!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Macdph, Thank you for your support. Yourself and all the other spectators really made this a wonderful event. Everytime I saw people chering or clapping it made me smile, laugh and realise what it was all about. I did spend a lot of the ride one handed, waving to the people that were so generous in their support and enthusiasm.

I realise it is an inconvenience having the roads closed, but appreciate the gesture and it really makes it a very safe and spectacular cycle ride.

Thank you!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dexradio
    dexradio Posts: 54
    Hi,

Thanks for the words of support. I travelled up from Kent to take part and had a fantastic time. The local support was superb, and I spent a good part of the ride acknowledging those who took the trouble to come out to support us. Having looked at the Acre developments leading up to this event, and the events of last year, I didn't know what to expect, but I can certainly say that I encountered Zero negativity from arriving in Pitlochary last Friday, to when I left to travel back to Kent yesterday. The support was fantastic the whole way around the course, seems like everyone took time to come out and cheer and clap us on. And I started in the last groups to leave the start line. I imagine some of you must have sore hands from all the clapping.

I don't know what people may have had to whinge and complain about, but I guess its just a fact that no matter what, there will always be those who do so for any reason. I hope that won't taint your experience, and I've no doubt the majority of participants would have nothing to moan about.

You should all be very proud of putting on a fantastic event, and I've taken the trouble to drop a note to your local paper last night to say so.

I'll be back next year, this is likely to become an annual pilgrimage for me and my buddies.

Dex.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Just like to add that I too had a fantastic day and thought the support was amazing. I always acknowledged those at the side of the road even if it was just a smile or a quick wave. Loved the claps, cheers, pipers, banners etc and when turning onto the climb at Logierait I heard one guy shout "Go For It" and I really did all the way over the 3 or 4 lumps before getting back to Pitlochry. I know where I'll be next year :)
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have the privilege of living close enough to be able to cycle these roads any time I like - but it is the atmosphere of the event, typified by people like Macdpb here, that makes it worthwhile.

So, for the clapping, cheering and encouragement, and yes, for being willing to have your roads closed, I think I'd have the agreement of thousands of cyclists in saying thanks.
  • jorhys
    jorhys Posts: 37
    Macdpb and all other residents along the route - many many thanks for lending us your roads for the half day. Thoroughly endorse all the favourable remarks from other posters. What a great ride, and what a fantastic supportive atmosphere. Brilliant pipers too.
  • I was also one of the later starters and was truely amazed at the amount of support and cheering out on the course. I particularly liked the pipers, the guy towards the end logierait(?) must've been out for ages. I travelled up from Norfolk and as a scot in 'exile' was finding myself questioning why I still live down south when I seem to spend a lot of my leisure time back north of the border. It was my second weekend on the trot in Pitlochry alone, previous weekend was for a stag do. I love the the area especially Pitlochry, Dunkeld & Aberfeldy. I'd quietly recommend the Taybank at Dunkeld for stovies as a substitue for pasta the night before, I'm sure the beers helped me round as well! I'm not recommending my B&B cos I'm gonna keep that for myself for next year!

Like many others I'll be back next year and assuming it remains in place for many more after that, as a very ammatuer rider the closed roads are a huge attraction.

So many thanks to you guys.
    Cycle fatboy cycle.
  • Macdpb
    I will get as many people as I can locally to write to the Perthshire Advertiser and also to John Swinney to let them know how much we enjoy having you guys here - I hope for many years beyond 2012 and I hope even more cyclists. We must drown out the noise of these ACRE people, whoever they are.

Frankly, I am wondering whether I ought to start getting into cycling myself I was so impressed with the great spirited atmosphere I noticed among all the cyclists - I certainly have no excuse not to, I could do parts of that route any day I'm not working, in fact, with practise I'm sure I could do all of it - just by cycling out of my driveway!!

Pete MacDonald
    StrathTummel
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Thanks for the support macdpb. I made a point of acknowledging as much of the applause and cheering as I could. It made me feel especially proud to welcome so many visitors to the area I still call home. Tummel is very nearly as beautiful as Rannoch and the whole area is a real paradise for cycling. Let's hope the Etape continues.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Massive thanks to all of you who gave such vocal support en route, and for giving up your roads for a day.

As an absolute newcomer to any cycling event, I was amazed and uplifted by the positive atmosphere, and couldn't help but grin, wave and thank every single one of the cheering spectators I passed (that's my excuse for not quite cracking 6 hours!). That kind of encouragement really put the icing on the cake of what turned out to be a fabulous day.

I was particularly tickled by the many early birds camped out in their garden chairs, sitting in their dressing gowns, tucked up in their quilts, waving their mugs of tea!

Macdpb - what's the best forum for a letter of thanks to your enthusiastic neighbours? The Perthshire Advertiser? Or is there something much more local?

Definitely up for 2011!

Yours aye

A very happy HighlandBimbler
  • Macdpb
    Hi Highland Bimbler - good question - I'd think the Perthshire Advertiser, nothing else in Pitlochry has any more distribution than that. We'll see you next year I hope.
  • Uncle B
    Uncle B Posts: 25
    My wife and I travel up from South Yorkshire for the Etape. We are newbie cyclists and had never done this kind of event before. Having read the negative comments, which seem to pervade the press, I was blown away by the level of local support, not just on the day, but in the days before and after too.

I was almost reduced to tears by the fact that people were still there supporting us "bimblers" right at the end. To all those of you who we inconvenienced with road closures, or disturbed church services, I wish to say a huge thank you for your tolerance and kindness! I never tired of saying thank you, to anyone who was supporting the riders, on the day, you were all wonderful. There was one family at the end of the drive to their farm who had clearly been cheering from the start, and were still stunningly enthusiastic by the time we got there! What an image to take away!

Perhaps as an indication of how much we appreciated the wonderful atmosphere, we have forgone booking our usual foreign holiday this year, in favour of coming back to Pitlochry, with the whole family!

So thank you all again
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    Macdpb wrote:

Frankly, I am wondering whether I ought to start getting into cycling myself I was so impressed with the great spirited atmosphere I noticed among all the cyclists - I certainly have no excuse not to, I could do parts of that route any day I'm not working, in fact, with practise I'm sure I could do all of it - just by cycling out of my driveway!!

Pete MacDonald
    StrathTummel

I think you've already talked yourself into next year's Etape Caledonia Pete :D ! We'd all love to hear of your training - and thanks for starting such a 'feel good' thread :) . I've not posted, or cycled, for weeks now and it was nice to come back to the forum and read such a positive story.