Messenger Bag vs Rucsac

Zulu dawn
Zulu dawn Posts: 11
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Dear All,
I currently use a small Deuter race rucsac to carry my bits and bobs over my 30 mile return journey. I ride a Tricross Comp through all weathers etc and I am of a "sturdy" rather than racing snake build.
Does any one have a POV re Messenger bag vs Rucsac as I fancy a change but not sure which way to go ? :wink:

P.s. I am not in for panniers, bar bags etc...
..............................................................................................

You have much to learn Padawan.

Do or Don't ... there is no try.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've been using messenger bags for the last three years now and can't see myself going back to a rucksack. The benefits from my memories of rucksacks have been lack of sweaty back though some rucksacks have measures in place to stop/reduce this and ease of access with a messenger bag. I can keep the bag over my shoulder and have access with only undoing one buckle on the chest strap, try doing that with a rucksack when stopped at a set of lights. The only downside is that I need to put the bag over my shoulder before I put my helmet on in the morning as I've got the shoulder strap quite tight, it's possible but I do catch my the helmet light at times.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I use an extra-large bum/waist bag and I think it's perfect as I'm not even concious that I've got it on when riding. One of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Inov- ... 360031758/

I can fit quite a bit in it including a fresh shirt and underwear if necessary. It seems to keep the water out and it doubles as a water carrier for non-commuting running & riding.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My rucsac leaves me much cooler and drier than my messenger bags. It's an Ortleib Velocity and the back is brilliantly designed.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Depends what you're carrying and how far you're going. I love my Timbuk2 for zipping about town, and for walking around with when I get to where I'm going. But I rarely have to ride too far with a big load in it (shopping for example). If I did I'd go back to a rucsac, or panniers.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    My Crumpler Wonder Weenie has been a good friend. Nice and sturdy, with easier access than a rucsac (rucksack?) and with the main strap buckle undone, a good shoulder bag as well. I'm not sure on the sweat issue; a bit less sweaty, but maybe due to less back coverage. The bit that is in contact does get pretty sweaty, but as I have realised from the 'lycra vs baggies' thread, I sweat quite a lot. The biggest problem I have found is that if you want to carry a heavier load, all the weight on one shoulder can be an issue. A rucsac does spread the load better, but isn't as accessible (but do you need to get to your bag at the traffic lights?).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Rucksac - North Face Fuse Box - waterproof, padded for laptop, no sweaty back and plenty of room - I did have a messenger bag but found it awkward and difficult to balance especially if your carrying a laptop
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    just a simple Anmial study pack for me, carrys what I need it to, nothing fancy, I change when I get into work so the sweaty back isn't a problem :)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Zulu dawn
    Zulu dawn Posts: 11
    Seems to be rucsacs at the mo' certainitly over the longer rides, mmmm thanks for the replies and which individual bags/sacs you are using saved the follow up question !!
    ..............................................................................................

You have much to learn Padawan.

Do or Don't ... there is no try.
  • O'Day
    O'Day Posts: 26
    Ortlieb Velocity.

Tried messenger bags; prefer rucsacs; viz. stability & weight distribution, aeration.
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    I prefer messenger bags, but that's probably because I've got very narrow shoulders and I find that rucksacks make my shoulders hurt. A messenger bag has a strap which goes under one boob and spreads the weight around.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Rucksack, because with one of these your back doesn't get sweaty:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... revolution
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Generally a messenger bag for me, a Howies Chevron. Can take a reasonable amount of weight, and has lots of reflective stripes to help myopic car drivers.
  • ichabod
    ichabod Posts: 78
    If you are not carrying much then go for a waist/bum bag for the summer at least.. No more sweaty back :) I can cram a mini pump and a jacket in mine no problem.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I use a cheapo Decathlon Rucksack, I don;t really care about a sweaty back, I shower at each end of the commute anyway...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I use an extra-large bum/waist bag and I think it's perfect as I'm not even concious that I've got it on when riding. One of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Inov- ... 360031758/

I can fit quite a bit in it including a fresh shirt and underwear if necessary. It seems to keep the water out and it doubles as a water carrier for non-commuting running & riding.

That looks like a really good idea for rides out on the Maxima where I want to carry a bit more than the saddlebag holds.
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    Panniers ?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Prefer the messenger bag. This is the one to have as it includes a bottle opener :)

http://road.cc/content/review/12479-lezyne-messenger-caddy-bag