Which budget full bouncer?

Deputy Dawg
Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Some scrote nicked my rockrider 6.3 so I'm looking for a replacement with hydro brakes to at least partially cover the upgrades I'd done.

With a budget of up to £600, I know a compromise has to be made somewhere. I've managed to narrow it down to 3 bikes I can afford & was wondering on your opinions on which would be the best choice considering most of my riding is round the Surrey Hills area.

Should I go for the Decathlon Rockrider 6.4 (10), the Giant Yukon FX1 (09) or the Carrera Banshee (09)?

Thanks in advance for all the help,
Dawg
Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    at that price, a hardtail would be much better, and for the surrey hills (i ride there too) you don't really need fs. if you really want a fs, look for 2nd hand, or get the giant yukon
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Banshee is a big heavy beast, and I would avoid for the riding you plan. The others look ok, try first if you can.

If you can stretch to it, try a Mongoose Canaan Comp:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b2s1p1499

I've seen bikes more than double the price with less of a spec.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Are you really committed to a fs? I'm absolutely convinced that they aren't worth it at that price point, and it's about then that ht's get good. Also, in the surrey hills I've never found one to be necessary- if you want one, fair enough, it's your money, but Imho you'd do better with the ht.

From the latest wmb the high rankers around that price were-
    Carrera fury (with 15mm axle! :o )- http://tinyurl.com/32cvxv9
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.1
    Merlin Malt 2- A little over your price point, so here is the Malt 1: http://tinyurl.com/353wl7h

Anyway, worth thinking about.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Deputy Dawg
    I know a hardtail would give me more options & better spec. but having enjoyed the comfort of a full suss, I want another one.

To be perfectly honest if the current rockrider 6.3 still had 27 speed X5 gears instead of 24 speed altus, I'd have just got another & a set of hydro brakes.

Unfiortunately 2nd hand isn't an option with the insurance. If possible they'll want to pay with halfords vouchers hence the heavy banshee in the list.

Dawg
  • Deputy Dawg
    Thanks SS that mongoose looks the dogs. Any idea what its weight is?

At the moment I think its a toss up between that & the rockrider. It just depends on how far I can stretch my budget.

Dawg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Go for the Yukon if your set on a bouncer that Decathlon looks absolutely Fugly
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Totally agree with Supersonic the Mongoose is way way better than the Giant. the parts alone are worth more than the asking price..the Freedrive system takes some getting used too..they always get overlooked but they are well built and put together..the only grumble is the paint is a bit thin...though with some heli tape that would sort it out...I had the Teocali a few years back and it was great..and they got great review on Bike Radar..the Canaan is the same platform with less travel...go for it and Pauls are great...I boought my XTC from them..as Nike say...just do it !!!!
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !