Flats or Clip ins

submityournentries
submityournentries Posts: 912
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
hey guys. im currently using DMR V8's, mostly on XC stuff. how much power advantage is there in moving to Clip ins? (if i do, ill get crank Bros Candy, and shoe suggestions?)

the poll is just to gauge what people think, and also what they use each type for?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would search for some recent threads - this has been discussed loads of times lol.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    This topic will not die!

I will attempt to summarise previous in the hopes this one won't take off.

Firstly, this doesn't account for personal preference.

SPD points:
    -More efficient: may only be perceived, studies suggest minimal measured difference, varies with person.
    -More control over back end of bike. Can make you lazy on technique.

Flats:
    -Get foot out more easily for really evil terrain.
    -Can move your foot about more for comfort.

I can't think of anything else that is a straight up thing to state without immediately getting into personal preference again, so I'm going to stop there.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • supersonic
    Yep, something the individual needs to try really.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Could we sticky a topic with the pros and cons of this somewhere so we don't go round the same old track again in a month or so? Or would it be a pain?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • supersonic
    I think that is a wise idea - I'll put a thread in the FAQ with some recent topics.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    supersonic wrote:
    I think that is a wise idea - I'll put a thread in the FAQ with some recent topics.

no ! dont !
    cant we endlessly debate this topic till my eyes glaze over and blood streams from my nose ?
    :D
  • supersonic
    I am already like that lol
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    I'm giving SPD's a go on the rebuild. The Shimano pedals I boguht were only £18 from CRC & I bought a pair of 661 SPD skate style shoes that can be worn on or off the bike. This way of the clipless option turns out to be a bum steer I won't have spent much & I can still where the shoes with flat pedals. I tried to ride smoothly with my feet always on the pedals so I'm hoping this will lend itself well to flats. Having said that I (like most people I guess) usually have plenty of foot out moments on the trails. Don't know what's going to happen with these moments when I'm attached to the bike :? I've set the springs to be loose so uncliping in nice & easy. I'll see how it goes.
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    you could try magnesium detonater pedals flat one side clipless the other
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • i apologise for the repeat of this thread guys haha, i didnt realise how often it goes out, cause i couldnt see any in the last couple o pages (though i did just skim)

my bad