Boring pedals question

dugliss
dugliss Posts: 235
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I`m looking at venturing into clipless pedals and am torn between 2, the A530 or the M324. Obviously both Shimano, the reason being that I already have picked up some shoes(Specialized Sonoma) with the sh51 cleat on. I want the flat/clipless option as I won`t always want to wear the bike shoes. So what ones should I go for as they`re both a similar price?

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'd pick the 324s - the flat pedal side looks less slippery. And they're a bit cheaper!
  • I seem to remember someone who'd used both saying that the M324s were the better pedal when wearing normal shoes, but the A530s were the better one when clipped in.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    530s are great. Not slippy. Have done many, many miles clipped and flat, no problems with either mode.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • bracketed
    bracketed Posts: 55
    I seem to remember someone who'd used both saying that the M324s were the better pedal when wearing normal shoes, but the A530s were the better one when clipped in.

I've had both, and I'd agree with this. The A530s have a narrower platform, but they are a bit lighter (380g vs. 530g) and I think they look nicer, especially when wearing cleats.
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    StuAff wrote:
    530s are great. Not slippy. Have done many, many miles clipped and flat, no problems with either mode.

What this gent said.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • dugliss
    Thanks for the input. One other thing, would I be better going with the sh 56 cleat rather than the 51 as I`m a bit worried about staying connected to the bike if I come off. I tried clipless for a few weeks earlier this year on some borrowed pedals but after having a front tyre blow out at 30mph I lost all my confidence and went back to flats
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    I have the M324 pedals and I'm quite happy with them. Don't believe the reviewers saying that the weight of the cage will make them hang naturally clip-side up; my experience is that they tend to stay in whichever orientation they were when you removed your foot (which suits me just fine).

The reviews for both products indicate they're both good choices, depending on your needs. If it matters to you, there's no way to fit reflectors on the A530s.

Of course, the A530s don't look anything like regular cages and make it clear that you're part of the cycling fashion elite ;)
  • dugliss
    Haha my stumpy legged chubby old body make it more than clear that I`m no cycling fashion elitist
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itsbruce wrote:
    If it matters to you, there's no way to fit reflectors on the A530s.

Of course, the A530s don't look anything like regular cages and make it clear that you're part of the cycling fashion elite ;)

One of my two sets of 530s did come with reflectors, actually (I bought both from the same supplier, some he got with them, some without). And I'm certainly not fashionable :D
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    dugliss wrote:
    Thanks for the input. One other thing, would I be better going with the sh 56 cleat rather than the 51 as I`m a bit worried about staying connected to the bike if I come off. I tried clipless for a few weeks earlier this year on some borrowed pedals but after having a front tyre blow out at 30mph I lost all my confidence and went back to flats

You probably would be better off with the sh 56's, they allow you to twist or roll the cleat out in any direction, whereas the 51's are one direction release (twisting the heel outwards). I have the 56's, find them easy to release once you get used to them (i'd practice somewhere quiet first so you don't fall into the path of cars).
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    northstar wrote:
    You probably would be better off with the sh 56's, they allow you to twist or roll the cleat out in any direction, whereas the 51's are one direction release (twisting the heel outwards). I have the 56's, find them easy to release once you get used to them (i'd practice somewhere quiet first so you don't fall into the path of cars).
    I have the 51's and the pedal set up to be as loose as possible. I never accidentially clip out, but I can intentionally clip out in a fraction of a second.