Scott Spark v Genius - geometry difference / effect

colint
colint Posts: 1,707
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm buying a new bike through the bike to work scheme (so choice is limited) but have narrowed it down to the Spark or Genius. I've done lots of road and cyclocross riding but relatively little MTB. Based on the amount of travel, I'm leaning towards the Spark as I don't think I'll be doing anything that will need the extra of the Genius. Riding will be general trail / XC stuff, I'm unlikely to take on anything with big drops of rocks etc.

I've riddent both, but just around the carpark where it's difficult to really get a feel for the bikes. Apart from the travel, how does the different geometry affect the ride / handling ? I could tell you what spec suited me on a road bike but I'm clueless about MTB geometry.

Does my logic of buying shorter travel to suit my lack of really adventurous riding make sense or shoud I go for the extra travel to compensate for lack of experience ?

Thanks
Planet X N2A
Trek Cobia 29er

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Slacker head angles stabilise the steering - the wheel is more likely to straighten out and self centre. Flipside is that it can make the steering feel slow or vague, but wider bars and shorter stems can help overcome this, as can steeper seat angles to get weight forward.

Steeper head angles liven things up. Too much and it can feel twitchy.

All depends how is measured tough ie static, with sag, fork length etc.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    supersonic wrote:
    Flipside is that it can make the steering feel slow or vague, but wider bars and shorter stems can help overcome this,

Don't wider bars slow down steering but Increase leverage?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • supersonic
    edited May 2010
    They do, but the overall feel of the two combined is one of more control and ability to put the wheel where you want it, especially when pointing down.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    The Genius has 1 degree slacker head, seat is the same, top tube lenght the same.

Is 1 degree significant ?
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • supersonic
    1 degree can be felt, yes. But that is with a longer fork I take it? The dynamic change of the fork through sag and full travel is important.

I think you need to try and arrange a full test ride.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Ah, it was intended as the two together, not either separately. Good-o.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.