Knocked off bike

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2010 in The bottom bracket
Coming home from work Friday morning a girl drove straight into me on a mini roundabout in Gravesend. She stopped, couldnt stop apologising and was almost in tears. I have banged up both knees and my elbow badly and have some stiffness in my left shoulder. She said she would cover any damage as it was her fault etc and she gave me her number. I got home, checked for damage and luckily all there is was a ripped Giordana top. I texted her my address to pay for the top, guess what ? Yep the story has changed, I was at fault. her brother then rings me telling me I went into the back of her (she has damage to the side of her car, by the wheel arch and fuel cap) and that he is going to get me.

Am I within my rights to batter this bloke if he turns up at my door, take his cashcard and get my money by force. I have to vent my anger on this somehow

I have 2 good witnesses, one of which was an accident claims fella who works for Uk assistance, counter claims, etc.

I am fuming and stopping going medievel on this bloke will be difficult.
:twisted: :twisted:
Rant over.

Comments

• AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Sounds like your witnesses will save the day for you. And may she burn in hell for lying.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Report incident to police right now, stating the threatening call from the brother. The fact that the call took place is easy to prove from phone records. If you are a member of a cycling body, ie CTC or BC, contact their legal support and get them to act for you.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • saymush
    saymush Posts: 80
    DMC call the police now.

drip acid in his eyes later :)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    it was a reportable accident when it happened - call the police and give them the witness contacts right away and inform your insurance - do you have legal aid?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Yep, definitely report the accident and the phone call to the police. Then get legal advice about a claim. You've done the decent thing in allowing her to pay for your top, she wouldn't play ball, so take her to the cleaners.
  • rapid_uphill
    rapid_uphill Posts: 841
    Did you or she report the rta to the police? its a criminal offence if you didnt.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    saymush wrote:
    DMC call the police now.

drip acid in his eyes later :)
    :lol::lol:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Someone needs to get the brother on these forums. Then he could explain how he figured out what happened and exactly what he's going to get you.

Hope the official channels side with you and you get much more back than the cost of jersey. That would teach the guy not to be an idiot, and the woman for listening to her idiot brother.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    I am sure the fuzz would be very interested in you receiving threatening/menacing unsolicited phone calls.

Obviously you are well within your rights to dole out a good shoeing to this douche bag should he ever materialise*.

*Legally this may not be true, but, the law is an ass and sometimes a pasting does someone good.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    dmclite wrote:
    Coming home from work Friday morning a girl drove straight into me on a mini roundabout in Gravesend. She stopped, couldnt stop apologising and was almost in tears. I have banged up both knees and my elbow badly and have some stiffness in my left shoulder. She said she would cover any damage as it was her fault etc and she gave me her number. I got home, checked for damage and luckily all there is was a ripped Giordana top. I texted her my address to pay for the top, guess what ? Yep the story has changed, I was at fault. her brother then rings me telling me I went into the back of her (she has damage to the side of her car, by the wheel arch and fuel cap) and that he is going to get me.

Am I within my rights to batter this bloke if he turns up at my door, take his cashcard and get my money by force. I have to vent my anger on this somehow

I have 2 good witnesses, one of which was an accident claims fella who works for Uk assistance, counter claims, etc.

Rant over.
    This brings back memories of my only ever accident. Similar story and the dreaded wheel arch damage.. Hope you have reported this to the police. As much as i would like to say that you are perfectly in your rights to batter this bloke, take his cashcard and go on a spending spree, you must go via the police and let them deal with it. However if Brother turns up at your door and you just happen to get involved in a scuffle then just make sure you win, whatever happens please keep us informed. Good luck.
    Ademort :evil:
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Anonymous
    Thanks guys, you are restoring my faith in human nature. :)
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    edited May 2010
    Time for a forum vigalante by the sounds of things, dumb b1tch hiding behind her bro, you shoulda called his bluff and kicked his head in*. Really narks me off when stuff like this happens :evil:

At least you and the bike aren't completely mushed though :wink:

*Actually not much point as then you'd probably end up in the cells :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Soz to hear that DMC. (not the bit about human nature, the accident!)

Rept to the Police ASAP, include the bit about the brother.

She is obliged to in law, you aren't but I would still do it. Now.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks fellas.

Will do Napd, cheers. :wink:
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    A friend of mine was hit (thankfully he was in his car) by a girl jumping the lights, a Mercedes E Class taken out by a Vauxhall Corsa, next he thing knew he was on the wrong end of a claim by the girl for injuries she'd sustained. My friend had called an ambulance and arranged for her car to be collected, called the police, her father advised her to claim because he "was a rich bloke" who could afford to pay. The long and the short of it is she came off worse in the situation.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    rf6 wrote:
    Yep, definitely report the accident and the phone call to the police. Then get legal advice about a claim. You've done the decent thing in allowing her to pay for your top, she wouldn't play ball, so take her to the cleaners.

+1 get down to the Police station sharpish, then legal advice. If Brother turns up you can spark him in "self defence" but I don't think you can take any cash he might have. That might be robbery.

Joking aside am glad you are largely ok. But I do agree with rf6, you gave her a chance, now set the Legal dogs on her.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Sorry to hear about the accident DMC... I can tell from your typing though that you may also be 'suffering' form, erm, whiplash and how about post-traumatic stress? These can be very expensive to fix so it may be worth getting her to cough up for your 'treatment' as well.

Then drip acid in her brother's eyes. :D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    rf6 wrote:

+1 get down to the Police station sharpish, then legal advice. If Brother turns up you can spark him in "self defence" but I don't think you can take any cash he might have. That might be robbery.

Joking aside am glad you are largely ok. But I do agree with rf6, you gave her a chance, now set the Legal dogs on her.

Yeah... What he said!

Have the tw4t, in 'self defence' (be sure to defend yourself for a good while :wink: )
    Don't touch his cash, as it will ruin your 'self defence' story...

I got almost £4000 a few years ago, for gravel rash! I didn't even get examined for the claim until all the grazes were healed, either :D
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • The more of these threads I read and the memories of my accident and associated claim make me realise that some form of bike insurance would be helpful. I certainly wish the police had visited my accident scene it would have made getting my bike sorted a hell of a lot easier.

Hope you get sorted, have you had a trip to hospital,quite possible you have cracked a bone or damaged your shoulder without realising.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    hopper1 wrote:
    rf6 wrote:

ker ching! i can see a new bike out of this!

Yeah... What he said!

Have the tw4t, in 'self defence' (be sure to defend yourself for a good while :wink: )
    Don't touch his cash, as it will ruin your 'self defence' story...

I got almost £4000 a few years ago, for gravel rash! I didn't even get examined for the claim until all the grazes were healed, either :D
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    hope your ok mate!

how did the conversation with the police go?
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    dmclite wrote:

Rant over.

The main thing mate is you're ok, you can always purchase a new top, the girl changing her story is not nice, and as for her brother threatening you like that, as mentioned report it to the police, doesn't that come under the heading of 'perverting the course of justice'?

At least if you report it to the police, and her brother does come around your house and you lay a couple on him, at least you've reported it to the police and covered yourself...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dmclite wrote:
    her brother then rings me telling me I went into the back of her (she has damage to the side of her car, by the wheel arch and fuel cap) and that he is going to get me.

Did you forget to tell him you are an ex-para with an anger management problem?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Note.
    There is no such thing as a Road Traffic Accident.The proper term is a Road Traffic Collision.Please bare this in mind.As many have said :the drive is duty bound to report said RTC.
    Also if threats to kill have been made and can be proved.It is worth following up.
    Note the word kill.
    Hell hath no fury, like a wronged person.
    Go get em.....
    bagpuss
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Always always take pics if you are physically able to. First of all it is a record of the scene, people and property involved. Secondly it makes anyone thinking of pulling a fast one that they won't get away or get away with lying. For the future get a headcam or two, they are pretty cheap now. Record any phone calls you receive from this girl or her brother. They sound like eejits and potentially nasty pieces of work. Tell the police threats to kill and damage to property have been made and you believe them to be genuine. Have you got her insurance details as she is bound to provide them? Does she even have insurance? If you are a member of a cycling organisation make use of their legal assistance. Vist your GP to have all your injuries checked and recorded. Good luck.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Anonymous
    I went to the Police Station after reporting on the phone. Gravesend police are following up this weeek. The really good thing is, down the station the support officer called up the location on Google maps, had a look at the junction and the cost cutter shop CCTV camera seems to cover the junction, so he made a note to contact the shop and get the investigative officer to veiw the tapes. He also noted that the brother called and threatened me, so now I hope she gets the good news this week. Stupid, stroppy cow all it would have cost her was a new Giordana top, now she could be right in the poo.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Well done DMC - sounds like you might get the sods!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    That's good, mate.
    I really hope the CostCutter CCTV managed to record the incident, clearly enough to b used as evidence.
    That's quality...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    A bit ironic if the Costcutter store's CCTV has recorded the collision as the footage will certainly cost her, cost her dear .... :lol:

It must be a rough area to have a Costcutter :wink: .

TescoMetro and Co-Op have both failed to make a go of a local site due to thieving and robberies. The store is now a Costcutter with bars on the window, bollards out front and a security guard.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Bet you this camera either wasn't recording or it records such ridiculously crap images so as not to be any help at all.

It's always the way.

I hope you get this sorted. Same thing once happened to my wife. Her car was backed into in a car park whilst she was in it. The other driver didn't see my wife in the car and quickly drove off to the other side of the car park, presumably thinking she'd got away with it. When my wife ran across to confront her she admitted liability then went in to work. thing is it was my wifes first day at a new job and this woman worked in the adjoining office.

When I phoned the woman later on to sort it out she'd obviously been 'advised'. Suddenly it was my wifes fault for 'not beeping the horn of her stationary vehicle to warn the woman she was there'

Brilliant.

Obviously the woman in this case didn't have a leg to stand on so I made certain that justice prevailed.

Bit awkward for the wife though, new job and all that, having to work with a bang to rights dishonest liar.

Might not be so easy in your case though if the stoned student in costcutter has forgotten to change the tape.

Good luck though.