Kids first Mountain bike

Campervan27
Campervan27 Posts: 137
right. Lad is 6, Bike mad as is his Dad and wants his first bike with gears. We are talking a decent piece of kit here such as a Scott Spark at £329 or Kons Shred at £400 etc? I also hear that Isal Bikes are pretty decent. The boys got potential and I want to exploit it!!
:)
Any suggestions or advice is gratefully appreciated??
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Comments

• andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Both ours (now almost 8 and 10) had Scott mountain bikes for their first two bikes. Excellent quality. Downsides, having 2 shifts was too complicated and also they are quite heavy.

The oldest moved on to a road bike last year so we got him the Isla bikes Luath 26. The younger has a shiny new red Bein 26 small in the shed ready for his 8th birthday in a couple of weeks. We looked at another mountain bike with suspension, but the quality of Isla won us over and at his age he really doesn't need suspension.

Both are bike mad, BTW.
  • Campervan27
    That is really useful and I appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.
    The lad is on a Dawes Blowfish at the mo, but has tried an Isla Bike and took to the gears immediately.... I think I am following that route as the Isla bikes seem really light as well.
    Thanks again.
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
  • lefty11
    lefty11 Posts: 1
    My son is 5 years old but very tall for his age. we bought a 24" carrera blast from halfords which he would ride all day, if he could. The seat is at it's lowest setting but handles well. One problem is that it has grip shifters which he is not strong enough to turn in an upward direction, so when we approach hills we have to stop and I have to change the gear for him. My daughter has just graduated onto a bike with 'thumb' shifters and her confidence immediately increased as she was able to move the gears up and down. If you can get a bike with 'thumb' shifters i would recommend it.
  • Campervan27
    Cheers again...
    Just spoke to Islabikes and they were falling over themselves helpful... I was really impressed! They have a test track and invited us up to try out their bikes for size ease of use etc. Also its fairly local so, I think I'm tempted to give them a go. Only thing for me is that their bikes aren't the prettiest and the Scott is very pretty!
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Islabikes, Islabikes, Islabikes. chose any one from three
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • dannc
    dannc Posts: 15
    Just ordered my sons first "real" bike, although they don't look the most bling i didn't hesitate and ordered him an Isla.The reviews on this site said that the fact they don't have front sus should be seen as an upgrade because kids don't have the weight to compress them and standard forks really keep the weight down
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Defiitely Islabikes... here's my son out for a ride on his Beinn 24

DSCN1698-1.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Campervan27
    I really appreciate all the advice and time that you have taken to help here. Thanks, from me and the lad.... It looks as though I am heading toward the Isla bikes Beinn 20 or possibly 24, and we will take the trip to Isla to test run etc... The Scott Spark does still look very pretty though.
    Great pic above by the way.
    :wink: