Ooo goody, another what bike thread (plus a Cube dealer Q)!

thegreatsoprendo
thegreatsoprendo Posts: 52
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at getting a £1000 HT through the cycle to work scheme to use for general trail/trail centre riding. At the moment and my shortlist is:

Boardman HT Pro
Felt Q920
Cube LTD Team
Trek 6500
Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

I'm leaning towards the boardman at the moment as it gets great reviews, is very highly specced for the price and is amazingly light. I've had a look and a sit on one in Halfords, but unfortunately they don't allow test rides. It's also likely to be the path of least resistance as our C2W scheme is with Halfords although I know Leisure Lakes accept their vouchers and my LBS does to (they stock Gary Fisher and Trek).

The Gary Fisher is brilliant value at £899 and gets great reviews, but I can't see past the (IMO) hideous paint job.

The Felt is the best looker of the lot for me, but Evans don't have them in stock and won't have before I have to apply for my voucher, plus I don't know a lot about them.

Also, does anyone know of any Cube dealers local to me in the Sussex area? I know Sydney Street bikes in Brighton stock them, but they don't have any in my frame size. I've tried the dealer finder thingy on the Cube website, but for some reason couldn't get it to search for any dealers outside of Scotland!? :?

Any thought/input/ideas very welcome... :)

Comments

• bdigital
    bdigital Posts: 193
    Dont know too much about the bikes on your list so i wont comment.

However, i did encounter similar problems regarding not being able to test the bike at Halfords, and i managed to get round it by looking up the store finder on their site, and ringing all the Halfords in and around my area.

I eventually found one willing to let me ride the bike (in this case a Fury) i had a good 10mins bombing round the car park, and i even found a lil off road bit to get stuck in!

No harm in trying. Well worth the extra effort.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Loads of Cube dealers in Sussex area

I just entered Sussex, UK into the dealer search engine on the Cube website & set the search radius to 100km
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Hargroves in Chichester are Cube dealers. Depends where you live in Sussex though..it's a big place :)
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    If the dealer will give you a tiny discount (unlikely with a bike to work purchase) or let you top up the £39 required (what I managed to do), then the Cube LTD Race is worth it over the LTD Team.