Routes round Bath/North somerset

thecremeegg
thecremeegg Posts: 284
edited May 2010 in Routes
I'm just getting into the whole MTB scene and so far have done some trails around by my mates in Hampshire but havent found anything near me at all. Anyone got any they know of?

Comments

• Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    There are guidebooks for that area.

My favourite place to ride in England is the Quantocks. It's neat Taunton. Only trouble is finding your way around.

If you google there are maps and if you take the time you can explore on your own.

Failing that the singletrackworld forum has some regular quantock riders who will show you around for cake.

Unfortunately I don't live that way anymore.
  • thecremeegg
    thecremeegg Posts: 284
    Cheers for that, will get looking
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    The current WMB mag has a feature on the Quantocks with some suggested rides.

If you're prepared to go a bit further south there are miles and miles of deserted bridlepaths, byways and trails in the Wylye valley between Warminster and Salisbury. Woods and farmland to the south of the A36 and Salisbury Plain to the north. If you check out the OS maps of the area you'll be able to explore your own routes. Plenty of ups and downs here. If you haven't got a car you can use the train to Warminster or Salisbury stations.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • TLil
    TLil Posts: 5
    Like you I've only just got into MTB but last weekend I went down to the Burrington Coombe and rode some routes across the mendips. Given the dry weather it wasn't as tough as I thought it would be and I shall certainly be returning. Looking at the OS map for Bristol and Bath, there should be some interesting rides around Keynsham and Englishcombe. If you want to explore the possibilities PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.