Whoops: Just registered for my first sportive

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Wiggle were advertising a sportive on Sunday which starts 5 miles from my house, so, in a post-lunch haze, I've entered it.

It'll be my longest distance so far by a long way; I think I'm going to ride to and from my house, stretching it out to my first Imperial century; assuming I complete it, it'll be about 102 miles all-in.

I've previously done 66-odd miles as one of a pair of riders, and I didn't find it too bad. I don't mind borderline destroying myself on Sunday as I've got nothing planned for Monday. Do other riders make it that much easier?

What about group etiquette? I take the view that as long as you're not hurting anyone else it should be ok, but are there likely to be elitist roadie types who take things seriously?

I'm not worried about speed as long as I complete it, but I'm not quite sure of the set up. There are 3 feed stops on the course. I assume these will include water and some sort of food-ish substitute. There isn't too much detail on the site about what that'll consist of, so will I need to bring my own food?

thanks
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    davis wrote:
    Wiggle were advertising a sportive on Sunday which starts 5 miles from my house, so, in a post-lunch haze, I've entered it.

Oh Davis, I don't think you should do that (Please note that this has nothing to do with our relative positions in the stats table)

Seriously. Good luck... Have fun.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    davis wrote:

It'll be my longest distance so far by a long way; I think I'm going to ride to and from my house, stretching it out to my first Imperial century; assuming I complete it, it'll be about 102 miles all-in.

I've previously done 66-odd miles as one of a pair of riders, and I didn't find it too bad. I don't mind borderline destroying myself on Sunday as I've got nothing planned for Monday. Do other riders make it that much easier?

What about group etiquette? I take the view that as long as you're not hurting anyone else it should be ok, but are there likely to be elitist roadie types who take things seriously?

I'm not worried about speed as long as I complete it, but I'm not quite sure of the set up. There are 3 feed stops on the course. I assume these will include water and some sort of food-ish substitute. There isn't too much detail on the site about what that'll consist of, so will I need to bring my own food?

thanks

I am doing this sportive albeit the shorter route.

When I did the New Forest one there was plenty of drink(water and energy drink) and food at the only stop I had. I believe there are gels as well. I would take some of your own spares for use before the first stop but if it is like the last one I did, the feed stop is well stocked.

It is much easier riding in groups, and is great fun but finding a group that works together is the tough bit. Also I would have thought groups will be less likely to stay together with the undulation of the route!
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    davis wrote:

thanks

I did a Wiggle Sportive earlier in the year, it was very well organised, you'll enjoy it.

The food stops usually have Cliff bars, energy gels, bananas, etc plus water and sports drinks. Its probably wise to take some of your own food as well.

If you're not used to riding in a bunch just ease into it slowly. Some people take it more seriously than others but if you ride considerately you'll be fine.