exposed brake cable inner on top tube - necessary?

Paddles
Paddles Posts: 11
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey folks, bit of a random question, but I can't find the answer using search so; when installing new brake cables, is it completely necessary to have an exposed section of inner cable on the top tube? I ask as the cable I'm replacing has beginnings of fraying on the exposed cable (I suspect its due to poor loading of bikes in a van - thanks 'mate!') and I'd like to avoid this be leaving the outer covering the cable completely - or am I just being daft!

Cheers!

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    There should be some doughnuts on the cable between each top tupe cable stop. This is perfectly normal. If the cable is damaged on a new bike you dont have a bike problem but a carrier problem. If the cable is properly fitted there is bugger all for it to fret on. So guessing you bought it online or 2nd hand then the seller thinks he has big windows or the carrier has damage your cables. Discuss
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Paddles
    Paddles Posts: 11
    Cheers bud, the last cable did have the doughnuts on, and no fraying until I got the bike back from a mate who'd driven a van of bikes and kit back from Switzerland whilst everyone else flew, the cable has started to fray - suspect stuffs been dumped onto the frame and nicely rubbed. Well, the cable can stay with a full outer between the stops for the time being as haven't got a spare cable for if I mess up splitting the outer!
    Cheers!
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    There's your problem. A new inner is a less than a beer I'd have both off your mate :)
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I use the Sram cable end caps that have a much narrrowr/longer ending to them.

Then, where the exposed cable is, I run a very thin length of the red plastic cable covering, and the end of the Sram caps slip nicely into the red sheath.

This then gives you a totally covered run of cable, but it works better low down on the frame, where most of the muck gathers.

Along the top tub I tend to leave the red plastic cover off for access for lube.
  • pmd
    pmd Posts: 13
    I think the idea of exposed cables is to reduce friction and make shifting easier. On the other hand exposed cables let the dirt in which increases friction anyway.

You might wana condiser the Gore fully sealed cables. I had a bad experience with them, but loads of people swear by them
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    You can fit middleburn cable oilers on the short sections of outer on a conventional setup. Fit them in the middle of the section, spray some gt85 into them after a wet ride and it pushes all the muck out the ends. Only found out about them recently, they're definitely going on next time I change the cables.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=3318
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.