did anyone else become a victim of the wind today

mattrsa
mattrsa Posts: 143
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Normally take me 1hour 20 to get to work

Today it took me 1 hour 40 min. Combo of the strong head wind and sore legs from a pretty hard squash game last night!

Knowing my luck the wind will have changed direction on the way home and I will be into a head wind all the way! : (
Commuter - Trek 1.2
Fun - Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    mattrsa wrote:
    Knowing my luck the wind will have changed direction on the way home and I will be into a head wind all the way! : (

There is never a tailwind, only headwinds... :x

I felt the headwind more yesterday morning, but then i was having a mild athsma attack on the way to work too :shock:
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Headwind added at least 10 minutes on this morning, and I was going at quite a relaxed pace as I woke up with the headcold from hell.

Said headcold has become a full body assualt as the day has progressed, hoping the wind is still blowing the same way and blows me home!
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The wind is a bit all over the place at the moment. I have no idea which way it'll be blowing by the time I go home. At the moment we're talking howling TAILwind... so that'll change.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Home is West for me....headwnd predicted but only 7-8 mph.

Headwinds build character, hills build strength. Apparently.
  • mattrsa
    I'll take hills over headwind anyday!

Guess is a bit more windy here, according to bbc weather 13mph east which in theory is a tail wind for me but we will see.

Matt
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I was certainly a victim, I've been cutting the hedge and the privets went all over the place :cry: , so much so , I gave up and went inside to watch the giro :)

Cold wind too :?

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Home is West for me....headwnd predicted but only 7-8 mph.

and let you know what your handlebars taste like
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Came into work at 1100 this morning - didn't notice a headwind and was faster than usual due to lighter traffic and fewer cyclists to avoid. Was a good ride. Might work half days more often going forward 8)
  • VespaTrek
    VespaTrek Posts: 72
    I've been particularly windy today; I pity the poor fkkers that had to get in the lift after me this morning... :oops:
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • I've had a full week of fantastic tail winds booting me home at an electrifying pace.

However this mornings was a bit all over the place on the way in so I am not too confident of an easy ride home tonight.

Plus we've had some rain and I have no jacket.

Poo!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628

and pain is just weakness leaving the body...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I could feel it on the ride home but it didn't affect me till I came back north of the river on an exposed section with only trees for shelter.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I picked up a strong tail wind on slightly sloping down smooth local 40mph dual the other day.

It was a bit like that scene from X-men when Wolverine presses the button on Cyclops' motorbike.

I was at a steady 35 quite quickly.
  • freakybacon
    freakybacon Posts: 36
    Did.
    It.
    Ever.

Absolutely no flipping way should the 5 mile commute take me 29.5 minutes. Not even with a soft front tire due to a blown patch should this happen. Even CannondaleMan*
    scalped me- this will not do at all.

*CannondaleMan- a guy who rides.. guess what?.. and occasionally rides with me on my commute.
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • Kieran_Burns

I had a LOT of weakness in me tonight then.

Oh
    Dear
    God

I was down to single figures at some points, forced to use the middle chain ring as I simply couldn't turn the big ring on any of the damn' hills. Straights I can normally cruise at near 20mph, I struggled to get over 1/2 that.

I may sulk tomorrow.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I thought I had taken Jimmy's patent feebie pills.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm looking out the window and can see the trees leaning in the direction of work. I know I'll have one hell of a tailwind on the way in... but, but... the way home. I'd have to walk :shock:

Hmmmmm.....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Wind? What wind? There is no wind.
  • mattrsa

I had a LOT of weakness in me tonight then.

Oh
    Dear
    God

I was down to single figures at some points, forced to use the middle chain ring as I simply couldn't turn the big ring on any of the damn' hills. Straights I can normally cruise at near 20mph, I struggled to get over 1/2 that.

I may sulk tomorrow.

This is the exact porblem I had on the way to work, places where I normally get around 20mph I was doing barely 14.

On the other hand I flew home last night with a PB of 1.16 which is about 10 min off my previous best
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    There are some days when it feels like cycling through treacle.
    You stop and there doesn't seem to be a wind at all.
    I have stopped before just to check my brakes haven't got stuck onto the rims.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I know I'm going to regret cycling in when I go home, but there were a couple of golden moments on the way... 8)

Officially a speeder through a housing estate... smooth downhill stretch, tailwind = 32mph and I had to brake for traffic (damn :wink: )
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mattrsa
    SimonLyons wrote:
    There are some days when it feels like cycling through treacle.
    You stop and there doesn't seem to be a wind at all.
    I have stopped before just to check my brakes haven't got stuck onto the rims.

done that, y day i was sure that my back tyre was flat

jumped off to check, then I thought, maybe I have broken a spoke, nope! Then I thought maybe today I am just the winds bitch!
    Commuter - Trek 1.2