Need my fix in Reading

Mc Smiley
Mc Smiley Posts: 252
edited May 2010 in MTB rides
Going to be starting an internship in reading and I will need to ride.

Already found the BMX track and there are lots of roads (ofcourse) but it is the offroad stuff that will stop my boredom from leading me to hang myself.

So where is good to ride?
Swinley looks good but quite far off for an evening jaunt. As I will not have a car being a student type...
Oh and as of yet I don't know where I am living.

Also slightly unrelated, how is bike crime in reading?
I'm from Bristol the capital of thieving pikies.

Comments

• TheNorthernTrain
    TheNorthernTrain Posts: 1,049
    bike crime is pretty big in reading. My housemates have had 2 bikes stolen one was recovered by chance and the other wasn't. Have heard of loads more thefts as well.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Sulham Woods is my favourite around reading - there are two woods either side of the car park which both offer some fun. Just on the Western outskirts of reading.

I think there are also some good rides North of Reading near the Thames and of course the Ridgeway not too far away if you can drive to the ride.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Reading is crime central. I lost my CUBE here :(
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Feck, may have to build up a rubbish single speed...
    Cheers for that guys
  • donkeysled
    donkeysled Posts: 25
    hiya
    reading is not crime central at all, no more than anywhere else. dont leave your bike in stupid places unlocked and you'll be fine.

sulham woods ( purley/ tilehurst) to the west of reading is mainly footpaths and illegal trails, although ive ridden there since i was a kid, i wouldnt bother

loads of good riding around swinley ( bracknell) check out 'Swinley forest Mountain Bikers (The Lookout)' on facebook, regular rides

also check out the os explorer map 171, plenty of riding on that, especially north of caversham as apreading has said

feel free to ask more,

whatever you do, dont go singlespeed!!