Trouble with rear mech bolt and mech hanger

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Put the Cotic build together and everything was going smoothly until I hit a problem.

The bolt on the rear mech (XT shadow) wont go into the gear hanger on the Cotic.

Greased it and it won't 'take'. It just spins around and around and around and doesnt enter the threaded area. Just doesnt have the bite into the thread.

Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look at the threads, on both, are they damaged? got paint on them?

M10X1mm is the thread. get the frame chased out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    nicklouse wrote:
    have a look at the threads, on both, are they damaged? got paint on them?

M10X1mm is the thread. get the frame chased out.

Cheers Nick - 18 bikes were supposed to have done this.... :twisted:

No damage on either - both are brand new.

The internal threads on the hanger are painted, not chased out like the BB was.

Fecking PITA this is, especially when you have a shite LBS......

Is this something that can be done at home with the correct tools?
  • nicklouse
    if you can find a 10X1mm tap and something to turn it.

I suggest an engineering shop. and if he is any good he will look at it and pick the correct tap or he will measure it even after you have told him it is a 10X1mm thread.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Big Cheese
    nicklouse wrote:
    if you can find a 10X1mm tap and something to turn it.

I suggest an engineering shop. and if he is any good he will look at it and pick the correct tap or he will measure it even after you have told him it is a 10X1mm thread.

Dammit - I am really annoyed about this..... I really dont have any engineering places near me..... so not an option.

I don't want to dismantle the bike and send it back to 18 bikes TBH... they should have done this as per their website..... :twisted:

Where can I purchase such a tool and what am I looking for?
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I'm fairly sure I will have an m10x1 tap at work.

I can chuck one in a jiffy bag as a last resort if you like.. :)

You don't want to damage the thread by just spinning the bolt around in the hole.
  • nicklouse
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 0&ts=93878

for example but NOT that one as the M10 is most certainly not M10X1mm ( at a guess M10X1.25mm)

Mmm got any old shimano rear hubs about?
  • The Big Cheese
    -Liam- wrote:
    I'm fairly sure I will have an m10x1 tap at work.

I can chuck one in a jiffy bag as a last resort if you like.. :)

You don't want to damage the thread by just spinning the bolt around in the hole.

Cheers - appreciate it if you could - or I could purchase the set - would I need something like this

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... extractors
  • -liam-
    Not much good.

Those sets contain standard pitch taps. M10x1 is a fine pitch thread.
  • The Big Cheese
    nicklouse wrote:
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/products.jsp?id=12080&ts=93878

for example but NOT that one as the M10 is most certainly not M10X1mm ( at a guess M10X1.25mm)

Mmm got any old shimano rear hubs about?

Sorry nick, just saw this post - nope, no shimano hubs around but I am curious :)

If Liam could get me the tap - can I just purchase the 'handlle' if that makes sense rather than the whole set?

Also, is this easy? I remember doing it during school years in engineering.. dont want to feck the frame up.....
  • The Big Cheese
    -Liam- wrote:
    Not much good.

Those sets contain standard pitch taps. M10x1 is a fine pitch thread.

Ahh OK... so is M10x1 a 'standard' for mech hangers?

I really dont want to have to purchase a toolset that will get used once LOL
  • nicklouse
    The Big Cheese
    a Shimano rear hub axle has the same thread, and you could fashion a tap out of it with a hacksaw to cut two groves in the sides then clean the new thread ends with a needle file. and then run that through the hanger to clean the threads out. It is not like it has much work to do.
  • nicklouse

Ahh OK... so is M10x1 a 'standard' for mech hangers?

and yes. but you could always call them.
  • -liam-
    You should be able to get away with winding it in with a spanner. A tap should pick up on the existing threads pretty easily or just wind it in from the other side. I'd imagine the thread should be ok there.
  • The Big Cheese
    Sounds like a good way of doing it... however I am a total spanner (no pun intended) and dont have an old shimano hub anyhoo....

The only decent bike store is in the west end and I dont really want to trot up there.......

Will any tap wrench fit any tap - i.e., this wrench from draper:
    http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-6 ... wrench.asp

And if Liam could lend me the tap......

:D
  • -liam-
    That'll be fine.

I'll pm you on here in the morning to let you know if i find one and you can send me your address.
  • The Big Cheese
    -Liam- wrote:
    That'll be fine.

I'll pm you on here in the morning to let you know if i find one and you can send me your address.

Cheers Liam - you're a star..... :)

So, that handle will fit yes?

Also, and last question until tomorrow I promise.

Is it an easy enough job...... to do I mean with the right tools... I dont want to feck the frame up (give me an alu/replaceable mech hanger anytime)
  • -liam-
    It'll fit.

You'll find that the tap will pick up the start of the thread easily. If you are in any doubt though, send it back ;)
  • The Big Cheese
    -Liam- wrote:
    It'll fit.

You'll find that the tap will pick up the start of the thread easily. If you are in any doubt though, send it back ;)

Cool... catch up tomorrow then! :)