Numb Manhood..advice wanted.

Nasty1
Nasty1 Posts: 108
edited June 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Hi
Not sure where to have put this as its a health issue but also needs advice on possible set up or new saddle.

Right getting back into MTB and suffering terribly with a numbing of the manhood in a short space of time, it notices more when I relieve the pressure but getting up off the saddle with a pins n needles sensation.

Now I have heard that there is a nerve that can get compressed and cause this if the saddle is not adjusted correctly or is a poor saddle. My saddle is currently set up level to the ground and thats it.

I am not really sure on how to go about the correct set up for level or the position forward/backward on the rails so any advice or links to setup articles would be appreciated. Furthermore I believe my saddle is 'male specific' (its a Specialized own brand from a 2004 RockHopper). I don't want to spend silly money on a new saddle but would consider a good replacement..so whats out there? I do not want super light but would like all day comfort for a big guy 15 1/2 stone riding a hard tail.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Get yourself some padded shorts if you haven't already, and maybe also consider one of those saddles with a groove down the middle

You can either point the saddle up or down, but I cant remember what way you are meant to do it, sorry :oops:
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • Nasty1
    I do wear padded shorts and the saddle is grooved, but suspect shape and position of the saddle is the key here?
  • flowpro
    flowpro Posts: 64
    I swapped to an adjustable seatpost recently and got the same problem. I had the same gobi xm saddle so knew it wasn't that to blame.

Turns out the seat nose was higher than before it was hardly noticeable by eye. But dropped the nose by 5mm and problem went away as quick as it arrived. Maybe it’s as simple as that, well it’s something for you to try anyway.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    As already suggested try pointing the saddle down a smidge, it should be level or pointing down.

Another area to try is to move the saddle forward and see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise you might need a wider and better perch.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    what robert said^ point it down a bit and get more of your weight on your arms. also get out of the saddle more often, stand up pedaling.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    dunker wrote:
    point it down a bit

I do hope you mean saddle, though it might work for your manhood too :wink:
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    hehe, err yeah the saddle :lol:
  • Nasty1
    supersonic wrote:
    dunker wrote:
    point it down a bit

I do hope you mean saddle, though it might work for your manhood too :wink:

PMSL.

Thanks for the comments etc. I'll take some tools with me next time out and have a play. I've had a quick look at some saddle options and the Gobi XM saddle mentioned earlier gets good comments on but is not grooved.....I thought most were now.
  • supersonic
    I use a Gobi - it is quite hard, but do bed in.

Maybe try a Specialized store who can measure your sit bones and loan you a saddle?
  • Nasty1
    supersonic wrote:
    measure your sit bones?

Ooo er Matron :oops:
  • supersonic
    I always take the foot long ruler just incase :wink:

Seriously though, they are pretty good with all the anatomical stuff and should be able to help you if you can find a store that does it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If you want a really grooved saddle try the Selle SMP strike range. I keep recommending them for people with similar issues who appear on here, but the gap really is very big. So you do sit on your sit bones and not anything else!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Nasty1
    bails87 wrote:
    If you want a really grooved saddle try the Selle SMP strike range. I keep recommending them for people with similar issues who appear on here, but the gap really is very big. So you do sit on your sit bones and not anything else!

Cheers,i'll have a lookie

The nearest Specialized Fit centre to me is in Plymouth according to the www a considerable way to go.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Worth getting sorted though, a mate of mine had to give up riding as his doc told him that he wouldn't be able to have kids...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets