Cadence Muscle Mass Relation?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
Hi,

Is there a relation between cadence and muscle mass, ie, if you pedal at lower cadences you get bigger legs and vis-versa?
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Not really it's like most resistance exercise if you push a bigger gear(weight) and eat appropriately, depending on your age muscle gain will occur, pushing a smaller gear faster will build endurance into muscles .
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439
    I wouldn't say so. I've seen riders with big legs spinning away and vice-versa. I've always been a "spinner" and have fairly big legs (for my size anyway).
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    I tend to average 85rpm and my legs are getting bigger so I was wondering if I should average 95rpm or higher to avoid getting bigger legs as finding trousers that fit properly is becoming a problem and I dont want to look bottom heavy :)
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Gav888 wrote:
    I tend to average 85rpm and my legs are getting bigger so I was wondering if I should average 95rpm or higher to avoid getting bigger legs as finding trousers that fit properly is becoming a problem and I dont want to look bottom heavy :)

I think you'll find that shorter people tend to build larger muscles than their taller counterparts. Short muscles just grow "easier" than long ones. I'm not sure why, but if you look at bodybuilders a lot of the really successful ones are of shorter stature. I have short legs and all I have to do is look at a barbell and my legs swell up. Even cycling tends to put muscular size on them.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Yep, same here. 26ins thighs at 5ft 6ins...15ins calves.
    Cycling does seem to add bulk, and some definition, and with the hills here, no surprise!

But i do other exercises too along with rides etc.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Splottboy wrote:
    Yep, same here. 26ins thighs at 5ft 6ins...15ins calves.

Vino. Is that you??????
  • robbiedont
    robbiedont Posts: 89
    Gav888 wrote:

Are you gaining weight?