Advice for an unfit cycling newbie (me)

rhys_james
rhys_james Posts: 11
Hi,
Im 17 and I enjoy cycling but I dont own a road bike yet.
I used to regularly cycle and do a 20 mile ride every Sunday on an MTB and participated in a 100 mile charity ride on an MTB (but died after 85 miles).

That was last summer. Since then Ive gained weight to 15st, massively unfit but hugely keen to get into road biking.

I'm just not quite sure where to start. Ive read some of the articles on this forum about fitness etc but how can I really start to improve my fitness, endurance and lose weight?

I'm guessing I need to do these three things before I can take road biking a little more seriously. Keep in mind I'm still using MTBs, should I get a road bike now?

At the moment I just feel like I'm too heavy to haul around on a bike with my current fitness levels.
Thanks

Comments

• For me I need a goal or target to motivate myself.

I would suggest you set yourself a target weight and when you reach that reward e.g. a rod bike.

Using an MTB to get fit is fine as you have noticed on long rides a more road specific ride is a massive advantage. In the meantime you could fit slick tyres to your MTB and run at highest pressure for the tyres/rims.

Why not set your self a target weight and rewards along the way based on a cycling theme. e.g new shoes, helmet, maybe even a road bike once you hit your ideal target.

Diet is a big contributor as well as exercise. In general increasing your fruit and veg intake,lowering you saturated fat etc. No point trying to starve yourself as you will bonk while out on the bike. If you use the search forum there are a few others with similar aims,they may be able to provide help,advice and encouragement

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ose+weight

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ose+weight

Good luck and most importantly keep it fun or you will soon see the bike as a torture device :)

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • rhys_james
    That's good advice.
    Where do you recommend I should start in terms of distances on a bike?
    I live very close to a lot of country lanes which have a number of uphill and downhill parts.

I also want to know what I should be eating before a ride. I've heard pasta, potatoes etc but Ive also heard that drinking lots of milk helps.

What do I take on the ride with me? Plain water or sugar water etc?

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    rhys_james wrote:
    That's good advice.
    Where do you recommend I should start in terms of distances on a bike?
    I live very close to a lot of country lanes which have a number of uphill and downhill parts.

I also want to know what I should be eating before a ride. I've heard pasta, potatoes etc but Ive also heard that drinking lots of milk helps.

What do I take on the ride with me? Plain water or sugar water etc?

Thanks!

Hi mate!

With regard to food, don't eat a main meal within about 2-3 hrs of riding as all it'll do is sit in your stomach and not actually give you energy. In fact it'll slow you down!

I only eat on the hour every hour on the bike, something like a banana or malt loaf etc. If going out in the morning I set off without having anything to eat until 1hr in to the ride (no breakfast).

To drink, for now, just have weak ribena or something.

The most important thing is to enjoy it though mate. Map out some local rides or just go wandering the lanes. Some of my fave roads have been found by getting lost!
  • rhys_james
    Some of my fave roads have been found by getting lost!

I can agree with that already. My cousin and I found some fantastic routes through the country lanes simply by accident while getting lost a few years back. Even found one with the best long downhill stretch I've ever been on - gives a great adrenaline rush. My old cycle computer couldn't even pick up the speed properly, it said 99.99mph. :)