weird skipping issue - rear derailleur

Gilesw2010
Gilesw2010 Posts: 121
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all,

another technical question.

My rear derailleur (sram x0) is shifting up and down the rear cogs just fine - it seems to be indexed well. But annoyingly, when the chain is running on the second smallest cog it sort of skips intermitently - not between cogs though - the rear derailleur kind of jumps as if it is about to change gear. annoying especially if your standing and applying pressure to the pedals!

Its a new bike so the cassette shouldnt be too worn or anything like that.

I've tried adjusting it but its hard to as like I say they are actuially shifting well.

any ideas guys?

cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bent mech hanger.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gilesw2010
    hi Nick,

thanks for the quick reply. It sounds like youve encountered this before!

The hanger looks straight, as does the derailleur. Very strange. It's annoying as it seems like a very trivial thing, and I really dont fancy trecking down the shop - I'd rather sort it myself.
  • nicklouse
    it could be a bottom stop screw that needs a tweek or a little less cable tension as well but....

work you way through it or get some fresh eyes to look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Gilesw2010
    thanks again.
  • Gilesw2010
    you were on the money first time. Took it to the bike shop and the derailleur hanger has a very slight bend in it - nothing that cant be sorted though. cheers for the advice.
  • nicklouse
    :wink: