Cut Gate Langsett to Fairholmes June 1st, 2nd or 3rd anyone?

puddle-rider
puddle-rider Posts: 295
edited June 2010 in MTB rides
Hi,
I can arrange a free afternoon on either of the above days and looking for some riding companion/s to join me on my first trip along this route.
I am not a racing snake neither am I a riding god blessed with immense technical ability, I have though ridden many of the Dark Peak classic routes and need to scrub this one off the list so I do know what to expect :wink:
I'm looking to meet at Langsett about 2.00pm so if any one else has a free afternoon then please PM me.

Comments

• Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Mate, you tempt me........ :D

Our Lass is off work Tues 1st, so if I can talk nicely to her....... :lol:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • puddle-rider
    Hi Rich,

Let me know as soon as you can as I need to arrange a business appointment for the morning so that I can get lost :wink: in the afternoon.

Mike
  • Cheshley
    Hi Rich,

Let me know as soon as you can as I need to arrange a business appointment for the morning so that I can get lost :wink: in the afternoon.

Mike

I can do Tuesday afternoon mate :D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • puddle-rider
    OK i'm out most of the day tommorrow, business meeting in the morning North London then a slight detour into Woburn/Aspley :wink: for the afternoon on the way home.

I'll pick up messages tommorrow night, just be very very nice to her :lol:
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I'm afriad I can't make it, but I am just making sure you are going to do the route back to langsett too?! The descent down to langsett is absolutely fantastic and not to be missed :)
  • mountain mick
    mountain mick Posts: 285
    :D Great the 1st is my day off so i'll be up for it :D

Been thinking off doing this route for a while now be good to do it with company

mick
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44868051@N08/6896199872/

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
    On-One Lurcher 29er
  • puddle-rider
    Looks like we have a ride coming together then.
    In answer to Hooch I am intending to go out to Fairholmes, stop for tea and cake and return to Langsett, if there is enough time might even consider going up Hagg Side and down the Lockerbrook Descent :evil: on the way!
    Cheshley, misunderstood your previous mail, great that you can join me. I'll pm you with my mobile number and confirmation of meeting time once i've concluded my business meeting arrangements.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Cutgate is drier than its been for about 3 years 8) The repairs are now well settled 8)
    We did it a couple of weeks ago and it was fast 8) I'm only 10 mins away(usually) but unfortunately I'm in Devon next week :roll:
  • Cheshley
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Cutgate is drier than its been for about 3 years 8) The repairs are now well settled 8)
    We did it a couple of weeks ago and it was fast 8) I'm only 10 mins away(usually) but unfortunately I'm in Devon next week :roll:

The trail may be fast, but I'm not!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Ro88o
    Ro88o Posts: 130
    Bloody typical, i`ve been dying to try the cutgate run for ages but i`m away all next week. :cry:
    Oh well - have a good run, let me know if it gets called off by any chance and i will join you if re-arranged :D
    You only get one shot .........so make it a double !
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/r0880/1177 ... 4113728080
  • Nalla
    Nalla Posts: 87
    Tempted by this, will work on the wife!

Whats the distance involved? Just out of interest as Im not that fit.
  • Cheshley
    Nalla wrote:
    Tempted by this, will work on the wife!

Whats the distance involved? Just out of interest as Im not that fit.

Nalla, The route you did at Cannock last weekend is more than you'll do on this ride, the issue here is the gain in altitude and the technical drop into Derwent Valley at the South end of the trail. Looking on Bikely.com, Cut Gate itself looks to be about 5 miles then about 4-5 miles of undulating hard gravel track down to Fairholmes where Mike promised us all tea n biccies (did I read that right Mike? :wink: ). If people want to hack up Hagg Side and down Lockerbrook, I'll be sitting that one out as it's a long climb followed by a descent that I just don't have the kahunas for (it's steep and rocky), then there is the route in reverse back up Derwent Valley and over Cut Gate back to Langsett.

Talk to your missus and get it sorted :lol:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    count me in

i love that descent from hagg side to lockerbrook, so if that happens ill do that as well

looking forward to this
    what are brakes for again
  • Nalla
    I've been given the go ahead!
  • Cheshley
    S-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    :( ,I really need to lean to drive , I'm dying to go somewhere again.
    Caz xx
  • puddle-rider
    Right I think that makes 5 including me so far.

Know I need some local advice. Where is best to park, do you park in Upper Midhope and then take the bridleway out through Thickwoods Lane to North America, at North America do you head straight off along Cut Gate towards Mickleden Edge or do you drop down to Hingcliff Common and come back up to Mickleden Edge?

On the return journey which way around that loop is best to get back to Langsett?

I notice on the OS map there is car parking on the A616 about 1/2 mile from the A628 junction, looks like you can park there and pick up the bridleway through Crookland Wood to make your way up through Hingcliff Common and Mickleden Edge

If any locals could post up street map with the car parking options marked that would be a great help.

Thanks
  • mountain mick
    there is another option
    Park at Fairholmes then travel up via the road up to Slippery Stones and then up on to Howden egde and accross Cut Gate then drop down to north america then back over the top and drop back to fairholmes via the gravel track.

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
    On-One Lurcher 29er
  • puddle-rider
    Yea I thought of doing it that way but if you start at Langsett you get a handy halfway break at Fairholmes, going the other way there is no cake shop!! or is there?
  • mountain mick
    i can see where you are coming from, i was just thinking for the people who dont fancy doing the extra bit they wont be waiting around for the other's.
    mind you we could carry some cake with us and stop off at the other side for a decent break before heading back

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
    On-One Lurcher 29er
  • sniper68
    edited May 2010
    There's a large free car park In Langsett village,bang at the side of the A616 which will be quiet mid-week.It's signed "Langsett Barn CP"There's also a Cafe and pub,but nowt else.Head up to Upper Midhope then to N.America.Don't go through the gate to the farm ruin turn left over Midhope moor which brings you half way up Mickledon Edge.Then go up and over Cutgate.On the way back go straight down Mickledon to Hingcliff hill and into the woods at the bottom.
  • puddle-rider
    Cheers ibbo
  • Cheshley
    ibbo68 wrote:
    There's a large free car park In Langsett village,bang at the side of the A616 which will be quiet mi-week.It's signed "Langsett Barn CP"There's also a Cafe and pub,but nowt else.Head up to Upper Midhope then to N.America.Don't go through the gate to the farm ruin turn left over Midhope moor which brings you half way up Mickledon Edge.Then go up an over Cutgate.On the way back go straight down Mickledon to Hingcliff hill and into the woods at the bottom.

That's the way I would have done it too. I know my way around the Lansgett routes pretty well, enough to get us where we wanna be anyway. Langsett Barn is the best place to park, stick this into Google Maps:

53.500711,-1.684225

The best part about being the one in a group who knows where you're all going is that everyone has to wait for you :lol:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• puddle-rider
    That looks the perfect spot to me Cheshley, ride into Midhope take Thickwoods lane straight out to North America and pick up Cut Gate.
    As for timing i'm loosely thinking of 1.30pm meet for a 2.00pm start how does that sound?
  • Giggsmaster
    Giggsmaster Posts: 632
    Did Cut Gate yesterday afternoon. I can't believe how dry it is at the moment, very fast flowing. Definitley better than the first and only time I did it last November, I didn't think much of it, but then it was really boggy.

Can't beat Cut Gate with dry trails. Though I wish the climb back out from the resevoir would get a bit easier.....
  • Cheshley
    That looks the perfect spot to me Cheshley, ride into Midhope take Thickwoods lane straight out to North America and pick up Cut Gate.
    As for timing i'm loosely thinking of 1.30pm meet for a 2.00pm start how does that sound?

No idea what the roads are called Mike, just know where I'm going. Time sounds fine to me, makes a change to not be running around at 7am trying to remember everything and get my contacts in!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• puddle-rider
    Looked up those co-ordinates on google, seems the car park is that large layby on the side of the road also noticed my two favourite places very close to hand, the pub and the cafe :lol:
    So OK the ride is on then Tuesday 1st June meet in car park/layby at 1.30pm for 2.00pm start.
    Rich i've sent you PM with my mobile number.

Mike
  • Nalla
    Sounds good! :D
  • sniper68
    edited May 2010
    Looked up those co-ordinates on google, seems the car park is that large layby on the side of the road

Nope the car park is a car park.The lay-by is a few metres further up on the opposite side of the road.If coming from Sheffield the CP is on the left straight after the pub.If coming from Manchester it's on the right.
    Just follow the Langsett Barn VC car park sign 8)
    There are speed cameras when entering the village (40mph)If you travelling down the A616 from the M1 there are average speed cameras every few hundred metres.
    Looked up those co-ordinates on google, seems the car park is that large layby on the side of the road
  • Cheshley
    PM replied to Mike.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill