Cheap Breathable Single Skin Waterproof

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm after a cheap, breathable waterproof cycling "jacket". Ideally single skinned as I want domething that folds up real small.

Is there such a thing?
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• Sadly, I think it's a case of pick any two from the "cheap, breathable and waterproof" list.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Nod, or go for the birthday suit option in summer. Dries easily, quite waterproof bar a little wrinkling at the extremeties and if you're unlucky/lucky - you might get a free ride to the local police office.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    A bin bag.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Agree - I would go for cheap and breathable but water resistant or showerproof, otherwise you get soaked with sweat.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I got one from ALDI last month as it was cycling specific, it packs into the size of a cricket ball in it's own sack. Can't remember the price, but it was cheap.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Mark Elvin
    OK, remove the waterprrof & replce with shower proof......
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    What's cheap? sub £50?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • sem69
    sem69 Posts: 106
    I just got an Altura Cropton jacket – cheap, windproof, water resistant, packs up small.
    I got mine for £24 from http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=4063
    Very pleased with it so far, but not been rained on yet!

Or there's the Craft Performance jackets from Always Riding, £40 windproof, £60 waterproof I think.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    montane featherlite, packs to the size of a grapefruit and weighs 180g. Costs about 30 to 40 quid

it's water resistant for about 10 miinutes of rain. If you wear it over bare arms it lets the water straight through
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    vorsprung wrote:
    montane featherlite, packs to the size of a grapefruit and weighs 180g. Costs about 30 to 40 quid

it's water resistant for about 10 miinutes of rain. If you wear it over bare arms it lets the water straight through

I use the featherlite trousers.

Very good, and kept the windchill to a manageable level this winter. Again good for about 10-mins of rain but they do dry in about 5-mins
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    vorsprung wrote:

+1, although mine's successfully kept me dry for far longer in various downpours!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - my tip for the featherlight jacket on bare arms is to leave the zip undone. The sleaves then fill with air avoiding skin contact and also applies a little pressure against rain ingress. I also reproof mine from time-to-time which helps a lot (tumble drying in between reproofs "reactivates" the proofer)

But yes - skin is the only cheap, waterproof and very breathable material - so MTFU
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Yup - my tip for the featherlight jacket on bare arms is to leave the zip undone. The sleaves then fill with air avoiding skin contact and also applies a little pressure against rain ingress. I also reproof mine from time-to-time which helps a lot (tumble drying in between reproofs "reactivates" the proofer)

But yes - skin is the only cheap, waterproof and very breathable material - so MTFU

What do you reproof it with? How does this affect the (excellent) breathability? And how long does it resist showers?

I'm thinking about the jacket.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I use Grangers stuff. See here:

http://www.grangers.co.uk/productview.cfm?id=1

And, yes, it maintains breathability (it's designed for Goretex, eVent etc). I use this stuff on all my outdoor gear (hillwalking etc) and I'm very happy with it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mark Elvin
    Well I bought a DAre 2B Fastpack for £25 in the end after much searching. Apparently it comes with a "velcro bike attachment system", what & how good this is remains to be seen.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    decathlon gilet £20 - waterproof & windproof for the body and works well for me whatever weather or time. ok arms are out but they invariably end up wetter with sweat than rain anyway and make the arms of a coat all clammy and ugh.

it rolls up and sits under my saddle with a velcro tie on the warm day.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I use Grangers stuff. See here:

http://www.grangers.co.uk/productview.cfm?id=1

And, yes, it maintains breathability (it's designed for Goretex, eVent etc). I use this stuff on all my outdoor gear (hillwalking etc) and I'm very happy with it.

I reproofed mine a couple of times with the recommended nikwax tx direct spray on

This didn't improve performance

Resisting 10 minues of rain is of no use to me, if the rain is only 10 minutes then I'd get wet and not care. If it is more than 10 minutes then I'd expect a coat to keep it at bay.

I sold the Montane featherlite jacket and I don't currently have a very lightweight waterproof coat. I have a couple of coats but they are bulky, multi layered and weigh 800g