Hope brakes + bleeding.

NDawn
NDawn Posts: 238
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, not the typical how do I do this thread, there are plenty of vids out there that show you how to bleed them.

My question is, in the Avid brakes, the brake fluid is degassed in the process, with the syringes/vacuum so getting air out of suspension.
With the Hopes, as far as I can see no degassing is done, the reservoir is topped up and the brake pumped to force the fluid through the system to remove trapped air in the system.

Does this lack of degassing mean that the Hope brakes will invariably need bleeding more than a properly bled Avid system? Od does it simply not matter in MTB brakes?

Thank you.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope it means nothing really.

i do it as matter of course with any brakes that use a syringe to bleed.

your brakes only need bleeding when they need it, so when the lever is spongy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mfereborn
    mfereborn Posts: 480
    I don't think avids claim to "a perfect bleed" is at all true anyway, even through transportation microscopic air particles get shaken about into the fluid, over time these can settle and form larger bubbles in hoses.

Unless your brakes performance is poor you won't need a bleed :)
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    TBH, I think the Avid de-gas is bollox. Never done it on motorbikes, cars, rally cars, kits cars I've had, and it never made the brakes poor...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    Cheers guys :) Like I say was just curious. I've read a few things on the net regarding dissolved air in hydraulic lines and from what I can see it seems like only worrying about in the much larger and higher pressure industrial hydraulics.

Does seem like it's a bit of a waste of time really in regards to the Avid bleeding, was amazed at how much simpler the Hope way of doing it is :)
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    The Hope method is the same as you'd use for doing the brakes on cars and motorbikes. It's simple, it works and doesn't require any special tools.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    ratty2k wrote:
    TBH, I think the Avid de-gas is bollox. Never done it on motorbikes, cars, rally cars, kits cars I've had, and it never made the brakes poor...
    Could be why the Factory bleed from Avid is Sh$te.I didn't de-gas or follow the daft intsructions when I had Ultimates and got a much better bleed for it.Avid trying to complicate and uncomplicated procedure.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Using the Avid method you need to create a vacuum to get the gas bubbles out. When someone builds bike brakes that work on a vacuum principle I will degass the fluid.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • sniper68
    stubs wrote:
    Using the Avid method you need to create a vacuum to get the gas bubbles out. When someone builds bike brakes that work on a vacuum principle I will degass the fluid.
    And waste a lot of time for nothing :roll: I've had 3 sets of Avids and never had a good bleed from the factory.Bled them myself and forgot about them.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    ibbo68 wrote:
    I've had 3 sets of Avids and never had a good bleed from the factory.Bled them myself and forgot about them.

I have fitted 2 sets of Avids Juicy 5 on a mates bike and Elixir R on my Commencal. Both times I cut the hoses to fit and bled them. I used the method reccommended by Formula USA for Formula brakes which are nearly identical to Avid. You push the fluid back and forwards between the 2 syringes till all the bubbles have gone. Takes 10 minutes at most and gave a good solid feel.
    Formula USA bleeding pdf
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • sniper68
    I agree.
    There's no need to push and pull the plunger to de-gas the fluid.Just fill a syringe and push it through the system to another syringe.If you watch the bleed Vid and follow the steps you'd be there all day.